Sunday, February 20, 2011

Germantown Greenway - 2/19/2011

I was kind of hesitant to go caching this weekend, because I had a lot of errands to do that I had been putting off until the last minute - this weekend being the last minute. But my caching buddy, jbgreer, wanted to hunt a few caches and drop off a geocoin somewhere. We met at my place around 8am and headed out to breakfast. In the "old days", I was so eager to hunt geocaches that I didn't think about food until after it became too dark to cache. Now, as a "seasoned veteran", I try to enjoy a hearty breakfast or lunch while out on the road.

Our goal for the morning was to hunt four caches along the part of the Germantown Greenway that borders the southern part of the Lucius Burch Natural Area. On the way there we took a shot at getting more reconnaissance on INVISIBLE by MagicRock (GC24K70). We checked out the area again looking for more "clues", but coming up empty.

Now heading south to the target, the first cache we tackled was The Mother Load by hattrick364, omggal123 (GC2KPXN). An ammo can shouldn't be that hard to find, right? Fortunately we made the find, but I had checked plenty of spots that I thought would be more obvious. I would have liked to explore the nearby trail, but didn't have time on this day.

Next, we drove around to one of the southern lots for the greenway and set out forACME-Lord Of The Flies by giardia_boy (GC2K27R). It was only a few hundred feet from where we parked, but we ended up crossing two barbed-wire fences before we got the the cache area. It was a nano, but hidden in such a way that it was easily found. We always enjoy the creativity of giardia_boy's hides.

[ near the parking area ]


[ not slippery today ]

We made our way back to the greenway and proceeded east to ACME-Question and Answer by giardia_boy (GC2M6K0). The hike gave me another visual perspective to a giarda_boy hide I found last October. This ended up being one of those hides that at first glance could be in a million places, but fortunately the container was a decent size and the camo, while visually good, was of a material that wasn't hard to get our hands on.

[ I can't tell you what I wished for. ]


[ A nice view of the Wolf River taken from a new bridge ]

Our final cache of the morning was Now For Something Completely Different by giardia_boy (GC2KE6W). Now I had believed (like some others) that the greenway trail ran alongside the cache area. We ended up approaching the area from the east part of the greenway to fall short, and the west part of the greenway to again fall short. It turns out that the shortest route we could find involved parking across the boulevard from the park and hiking around a lake on the other side of the road. It had a bit of a path, so the hike wasn't too bad.

[ Nice path, but of no use today. ]

[ the end ]

After getting back to the car, my day was done. I had to get home and take a shower so that I could get my hair cut before the barber shop I use closed for the weekend.

Jbgreer, on the other hand, decided to follow up on some insights he had regarding INVISIBLE by MagicRock (GC24K70) and ended up making the find. I guess it will be while before I find it. Interestingly, later that day some geocachers ended up finding it with assistance after the GOWT anniversary event held that day.

No comments: