Sunday, March 20, 2011

Geocaching FUNdamentals - 3/19/2011

My caching partner jbgreer called and asked if I wanted to go caching on Saturday. In particular, he was interested in hunting 346 Cubic Inches by bitbrain (GC2Q6HD), a new cache in the Wolf River Wildlife Corridor. I instead convinced him to go with me to Geocaching FUNdamentals by Prontopup and Tiger130 (GC2MNCR) and as a bonus, I e-mailed him the GC numbers of three decent puzzle caches in the area of the event. I figured we could go after those before or after the event and have an enjoyable day.

By Thursday evening, we had both solved the requisite puzzles for Saturday's hunt. As I looked around for an additional cache to hunt, I spotted ANGLES AND DIMENSIONS by magicrock (GC2P9YF). This mystery cache was released earlier in the week and as of Thursday, had no finders. There were parts of it that I knew the answers to right away, so I forwarded jbgreer the link to the cache page and went to bed.

While at work on Friday, I got a call from jbgreer. He had the day off and was out hunting down answers to the puzzle. I couldn't leave work, but I was able to do my share of the puzzle using my computer during lunch. At some point during the day, I noticed that the cache had been found. I read over the logs and viewed some pictures that turned out to be spoilers for the cache location. I posted a note about the pictures on the cache page and the cache owner had the pictures removed. Since the location was only part of the puzzle, I focused my energies on solving the "Opening Secret". By early evening, we had all of the information necessary to hunt the cache on Saturday.

---

Saturday morning jbgreer and I got together at 8am to begin the day's hunt. I got very little sleep the night before, because I was anxious to hunt ANGLES AND DIMENSIONS (GC2P9YF). We skipped breakfast in order to hunt the original three puzzle caches on our list before heading to the geocaching event at 10am.

First on the list was The Truth is Rarely Pure and Never Simple by Dr. Eckman & The Lightman Group (GC2JE9C). I really enjoyed the puzzle on this one. The cache itself was a quick find in an area where jbgreer had once worked.

Second on the list was Little Fib by GC4EVR (GC2KBMH). Having a background in Math, the puzzle wasn't hard for me. I liked it, though. The terrain on this cache was fairly high and earlier logs suggested water in the area. We encountered no problems, though, and enjoyed the placement of the hide. There was a "Celebrate Summer" geocoin in the cache. I wrote down the tracking number for discovery, but later learned that the coin hadn't been activated, yet. [ I waited nearly a month and then activated the coin, myself. I then logged it as dropped within this cache. ]

[ The first and last obstacle ]

[ Dry today, wet tomorrow ? ]

[ My camera was focused on the ground, apparently, instead of the coin. ]

Next up, was The Ghost In The Machine by giardia_boy (GC2PH7Q). The puzzle was of a type that I had encountered before and jbgreer and I ended up using two different techniques to solve it. The cache had both an easy approach and a more difficult one and we tried both before eventually finding the cache.

[ A view that I have seen many times in the last year. ]

We were pretty pleased with ourselves by now, and we managed to find our way to the event with about 10 minutes to spare.

The event was interesting even though I'd heard the material before. I went mainly to socialize a little with other geocachers. I was a little uncomfortable because I was hungry, but the two hours passed quickly enough. I met a few of the newer cachers and talked to a few of the veteran cachers.

[ The host - prontopup talking about cache containers]

We didn't hang around too long after the event because we had a cache to find. After a quick lunch, the first thing we did was visually verify that I had solved the "Opening Secret" correctly. I would have been extremely upset if we had found the cache and made a mistake on the "Opening Secret".

Once at the location of the cache, we located the container and took it aside to sign the log and perform another task described in the cache description. I took a number of pictures for my personal records before we left. This was an excellent cache and I am highly recommending it to my fellow geocachers whenever possible. That was the end of our caching day. I went home and took a nap before taking another trip to visit family.

No comments: