Sunday, May 15, 2011

Rambling Around NE Shelby County, TN - 5/15/2011

On this particular weekend, I found it difficult to get out and hunt geocaches. There were lots of dark clouds on Saturday and I had to be at a birthday party on Sunday. I decided to hunt a few easy caches on the way to the party. I had some problems with the maps on geocaching.com Saturday so for Sunday I picked a starting cache and then let my GPSr decide what was next on the list.

I left the house late on Sunday only giving myself a little over 2 hours to cache and get where I was going to in Rosemark, TN. The first cache of the day was It's "S" "O" .. "G" "double O" "D" .. "GOOD" .. by Dragon9981 (GC2MND7). I knew it was behind a restaurant, but I was surprised by which one. I didn't until later match the cache name with the jingle for KFC. The only problem I had with this cache was its proximity to the drive-through window. I waited until a van pulled up to the window before making the grab.

The second cache I found was
LBC's Movie Night by jbgrissom (GC2P4VY). This was not far from the entrance to the Malco Summer Drive-In theater. Afternoon is a good time to hunt caches like this. I parked at the adjacent shopping center before quickly finding the cache.

[ Retro-looking lighting at the entrance ]

After signing the log, I continued northeast to
takin out the trash by jamey1 ( GC2BF95). This cache was in a nicer area than the name implies. It was also out of the way for any possible passersby.

I was running out of time, but I wanted at least one woodsy cache that wasn't a park and grab.
Madera de Azucar by thefamilybush (GC2VA3J) fit the bill. It was very green in these woods and I regretted my lack of bug spray. The coords were very good, though, and I found the cache and got out before I could get too eaten up. I liked the creativity in the naming of this cache and several others by the same cacher.



I had time for one more quick one before I had to finish for the day. Achtung! by thefamilybush (GC2VAG0) was a short distance away and like the description says, is right where you would expect it to be. The cache used a BIC stick pen as a container, which could work well enough until the log gets wets and swells up.

I had to be satisfied with five finds for this day. I was my own fault for leaving the house so late. At least this time, I made it to the party on time!

No comments: