Sunday, June 5, 2011

Meet The Reviewers - 6/5/2011

It was a third day of record-setting heat for early June and under normal circumstances, I probably wouldn't have set foot outside of my air-conditioned comfort. This day, however, I made an exception to attend Meet the Reviewers! by The Disorganization of MidSouth Geocachers (GC2WJCK). This event was designed to allow geocachers in West Tennessee the opportunity to meet and ask questions of Tennessee's two volunteer reviewers.


I had planned to arrive early and hunt three caches that were clustered less than a mile from the event. As usual, though, I left later than I had planned and arrived at Shelby Farms Park around 10:15am. That was too late to hunt the other caches and too early for the event, which started at 11am. It was already pretty hot, so I decided to hang out in the shade at the pavilion where the event was to be held.

My old friend 76Stinger was the first to arrive. We talked for a bit before the others showed up. It turned out that only one reviewer, "The Seanachai" , was able to make it. He and his family along with two other geocachers from Middle Tennessee spent the weekend touring West Tennessee before the event on Sunday.

After asking everyone to introduce themselves, The Seanachai (pronounced "shawn-a-key") spent nearly three and a half hours answering questions about guideline-related issues. He also told a few stories about working with Groundspeak, other reviewers, and geocachers in general. After the event, there were some interesting travel bugs to discover.

When I got back in my car, I was amazed at how hot it was inside. I burned myself on just about anything I touched. At this point, I knew I was done geocaching for the day.

The temperature on this day turned out to be 99 degrees which tied the record set in 1977.

No comments: