Saturday, March 31, 2007

How I Started Caching - Part II

Almost a week after my first caching experience, I got on geocaching.com and used the search by zipcode for the first time to see if there were any caches near me. There weren't many in my area at the time.


One cache I immediately noticed was GCEAF2 - Forrest Park by ArkansasBugman. This cache was less than 200 yards from where I was sitting! At this time, I still had no GPSr, but I was able to use a map on geocaching.com along with the hint provided on the cache page to narrow down where I needed to search. I tried to wait until the end of the work day to go after it, but for the rest of the day I could think of little else but finding the cache! It was an easy find and thankfully no muggles (including the white squirrel) were around. The log was soaking wet so I took it back to my office to dry out. By the time I went back to replace it, it was pitch dark out - not the best time to be in this park. This cache is now archived and the white squirrel that I used to see almost every day is no longer around. There is another cache in the park now though, and several close by.

In my earlier post entitled "How I Started Caching", I mentioned that although I had a lot of fun, I wasn't addicted at that point. This cache (GCEAF2) while a memorable and enjoyable experience, was not the one that I would say triggered the addiction. That story will come soon....

No comments: