Tuesday, March 27, 2007

How I Started Caching

A more appropriate title might be "How I got myself into this mess!" It was the day after Thanksgiving 2004. I had the day off but like most holidays for me at that time, I was at work. My good friend jbgreer called me up and invited me to go geocaching with him. I had heard of it before but needed to be dragged out of my chair to actually try it. We went to hunt a cache in Overton Park called "Overton Park Magnetic Wood" by spencersb. Since I had no GPSr at the time, we relied on one that jbgreer had recently been given as a gift.

I felt kind of silly looking for something in the woods and since we were both new to this, spent an extremely long time searching. I had newbie's luck and discovered the container, yanking it out of it's location. It was a glorious find and even though we found a few more that day, I was not quite hooked. How that happened - is for later.

That first cache has since been archived and now there are a number of creative hides in that park. These new hides have caused me to explore every trail and nearly every square inch of that park - something I might never have done if not for geocaching.

No comments: