Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Geocachers' Creed

I've been doing a lot of reading lately about Geocaching. It started with a sudden interest on my part to become more familiar with Groundspeak policies and requirements for placing caches. Our volunteer reviewers while generally cognizant of the guidelines set forth by Groundspeak sometimes in an effort to be flexible allow caches/event caches to be published that may later be called into question for breaking a rule. This is something we all should want to avoid.

While researching rules and FAQs regarding geocaching I stumbled across a link to the Geocachers' Creed. I had read it a few years ago, but largely forgot about it until I got to thinking about geocaching ethics (which has been on my mind a lot these days). The creed was developed during lengthy discussions on the Groundspeak forums by more than 60 geocachers including my good friend spencersb. The first iteration of the creed was released on December 23, 2004. If you are new to geocaching or perhaps someone who has been involved for a while but needs reminding about what geocaching should be about, I strongly encourage you to read this guide.

No comments: