Sunday, August 10, 2008

Caching in Memphis, TN - August 3, 2008

I don't normally do much on Sunday, but I had plans on this day to go see the movie "Hellboy II" with my pal jbgreer and his wife. Even though it was warmer than I like, I decided to spend a couple of hours before the movie picking up a few park-and-grab caches located a few miles from the theater. My main goal was to get the 3 remaining caches in the "Whatsa MATA" series by itcomagic and a few others.

I started by going to the one the furthest away from me - Whatsa MATA on Stage? by Abiectio (GC1DV8N). It was a good hide and I found it quickly only because I was very familiar with the hide technique. The most interesting part of the hunt, though, was the path I drove to get there. It was through a part of town I can't recall having been through before.

The second cache was Whatsa MATA with White Station? by itcomagic (GC1DRM4). Another quick find. The only thing that confused me about the hide technique was that it would most likely be destroyed the next time landscaping was done on the area. Why hide it there? Oh, well - on to the next cache.

Not far away was DEAD SPACE by ~Mindless-Focus~ (GC1DZMG). I made an incorrect assumption about the hide location, but found it quick enough, anyways. I would not recommend hiding anything inside of anything electrical.

It was getting close to movie time, so I headed over to Whatsa MATA with Challenges? by itcomagic (with cgeek, Abiectio, and Nvisible) (GC1DRM8) since it was near my destination. Once I (finally) found a place to park, I headed over to the coords. When I got to where I believed the cache to be and saw my GPSr pointing off into the woods about 30 feet, I knew the coords were off. Still, I gave the wooded area a shot and went back to search where I wanted to search in the first place. I didn't have time to find it, so I ended up leaving. This cache had not been found by the time I arrived, and my experience with itcomagic caches has been to wait for someone else to find the cache (pointing out puzzle or coordinate errors )and put a spoiler in the log. ( In this case, netinator later found the cache and posted enough of a spoiler to help me out should I make it back over there.)

I made it to the theater with about 10 minutes to spare. The movie was pretty good.

2 comments:

Itcomagic said...

Still there. No incorrect information. If you need help let me know.

Mackheath said...

Actually, the coords posted take you into the wooded patch behind the bus stop. The cache description implies that you don't have to get off of the sidewalk.

With the exception of the first finder, pretty much everyone else who has found this cache (to this point) did so with additional "hints".

I appreciate the offer of help, however, I think that eventually I will find the cache on my own.