Thursday, July 31, 2008

Collierville, TN - July 26, 2008

When I got an e-mail from jbgreer asking me if I had caching plans for Saturday, I said no. It's way too hot for me to be caching! We agreed to limit the day's caching to the morning and selected some caches in W. C. Johnson Park as our primary goal. These particular caches are in areas that might very well be under water during many times of the year, so when I read the recent cache logs and saw that the area was dry, I was happy. This was also fortuitous as I forgot to bring my waterproof boots.

The first cache we went after was Stinky's Litter Box by TNBOYS (GC12PVW). On a previous trip here, the area around the cache was flooded from a recent rain. This time the area was bone dry and we made our way to the cache quickly. I spotted it relatively uncovered and we signed the logbook. I had a goal to drop my traveling geocoin I picked up in Oregon at the first decent cache I found, so I dropped it here. I covered the cache better than I found it.

On the way to hunt Walk the Planks! by TNBOYS (GC11P79), we scouted possible entrances to hunt Ode to Soup's DVD Cache by Hoot Owl, JrByrdman162, & Spencersb (GCZX6F) afterwards. I wanted to save the highest terrain cache for last.

On the way to the boardwalk and roughly where we planned to enter the woods for GCZX6F, I spotted a young deer who stuck around long enough for me to get out my camera and snap a picture.


After taking the picture, we made our way to the boardwalk and hiked north to where GC11P79 was. This cache was a short walk off of the boardwalk and after waiting for some muggles to pass by, made our way over to the cache. I'd never been on this section of the boardwalk so I didn't know what to expect. After signing the log, we hiked back to the boardwalk and walked the rest of the way on it, ending up back where we started.

We hiked back to the spot where we planned to enter the woods for GCZX6F. The terrain was very rough, but we saw no trace of water going to and from the cache. On the way back from the cache, I managed to trip and fall face first into a thick patch of grass.

We made our way back to jbgreer's truck where he was pleased to see I had remembered to bring drinks. Also at this point, we noticed a few raindrops.

After leaving the park, we headed south to get Nut House by Lobodad (GC18917). We found the paved walking trail, but did not see a convenient place to park. Not really a problem, though, and we hiked around to an entry point and over to the cache.

After getting back to the truck, we decided to find a convenience store since I finished my drink and was still thirsty. At this point, it started pouring rain.


On the way back into Memphis, I suggested we hunt Silo Mentality by Chance Encounter (adopted by itcomagic) (GCZ17W). Because of construction in the area, I figured we should find it before the silos were taken down. When we got to the site, it didn't look like anything was going on there. Since I had tried to find this cache a couple of times before, jbgreer got climbing duties and made the find. Afterwards, we drove back to his house where we parted ways.

No comments: