Saturday, September 6, 2008

Puzzle Caches Revisited

Here is a link to a Groundspeak thread regarding the sharing of coordinates for puzzle caches.

A wide variety of opinions are expressed (some even on-topic). Some I agree with (or understand), others not so much. My own position on this has evolved over the years. In my experience, too much help diminishes the feelings of accomplishment in finding a "high-difficulty" cache. It is my belief that if you need help with finding a cache or solving a puzzle related to a cache, you should contact the cache owner.

Titansfan and pcsenn, two of the "leaders" of GOWT, obviously have no problem with using coordinates that someone else gave them. Others in the GOWT leadership cadre have no problem handing them out to anyone who asks. I guess it is naive to expect "leaders" to be held to a higher standard of behavior.

[Pcsenn later edited his log for "Blackjack" to obfuscate who on the "team" actually solved the puzzle. His earlier log mentioned that someone else provided the coordinates. Nice work, dude.]

On a side note: After reading this blog entry from Titansfan, I posted a comment asking who provided his team with the coordinates to Blackjack by Mr Lost (GCZ84G). Since his blog is moderated, he appears to have chosen not to post my comment. I recommended Titansfan for the GOWT Reorganization Committee many months ago and supported his selection to the Leadership Committee. In recent months, I realize that I made a big mistake - one of many regarding GOWT.

---

I see Titansfan just joined the JAG forums. That's good! Now he won't have to use his wife's account to spy on them for GOWT.

No comments: