Sunday, February 1, 2009

Havre, MT - January 4, 2009

As I was traveling east via Amtrak from Pasco, WA to Chicago, IL, we made a service stop at Havre, MT. I was carrying my GPSr with me, but I had no waypoints for any of the stops. I had heard a guy a few rows behing me talking about geocaching, and I talked with him for a minute after we got off the train at this spot for a short break.

After seeing this little park, I knew there had to be a geocache close by so I looked around with no luck. After returning to Memphis, I looked up this spot on geocaching.com and found out that Steaming away by Rainnstar (GC1C627) is located somewhere between the park sign and the train.

It turns out that Havre is a hotspot for caching in the area with approximately 28 caches within the town limits.

This park is dedicated to the close relationship of the Border Patrol with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and is located a few yards west of the train station. Havre is located roughly 40 miles south of the Montana border with Canada.

You can't see it in this picture, but behind the trees is an old locomotive on exhibition.

No comments: