Sunday, February 8, 2009

Rivercrest Nature Park - February 8, 2009

It was an unusually warm weekend for the beginning of February and I was headed north to attend a birthday party for my sister-in-law. This area, which is just to the south of the Bartlett Animal Shelter, was on the way and was in an area that jbgreer and I have hunted a number of caches.

This particular area - referred to by one cache description as Rivercrest Nature Park had two fairly recent caches in it and I figured I would take this opportunity to hunt them.

I parked at the Animal Shelter and looked for a way into the woods. There is no park entrance on the north side of the area where the Shelter and nearby Wastewater Treatment plant are. It wasn't difficult, however, to find the paved path that basically passes by both caches. I started by heading southwest to Rivercrest by weberus3 (GC1AFXK). I got to within 20 feet and saw a huge gulley that I might have to cross. At this point, I looked at the cache logs on my PDA and saw that this cache was missing. Someone had muggled it and the last visitor took what was left of it with him. I cursed myself for not reading the logs ahead of time and headed east to see if I could find the other cache in the park - Dixie's Prize by Dixie's Pal (GC1KMR2). This cache had been placed barely a month ago, and was in good shape when I found it. I thought about exploring this park further, but I was running low on time. This park currently has more room for caches, so I'll probably wait until GC1AFXK is replaced, and another cache or two is added before I come back. I took a few pictures of the area that I will post here later.

No comments: