Sunday, October 4, 2009

Germantown Redux - 10/3/2009

It was a beautiful day for some light caching on Saturday, and as part of the adventure I made a last-minute decision to attend a geocaching event in Cameron Brown Park. Techniques, Tools, and Tips by Geocachers of West Tennessee (GC1XC3T) was intended to (as the name implies) demonstrate some of the techniques and tools popular with geocachers.


I arrived at the coordinates almost exactly at start time (10 am) only to find that the event had been moved to another area - the westernmost ball field area. I knew exactly what to expect in terms of the reception I would get and I wasn't disappointed. ;-) At least the weather was nice.

One thing I missed seeing at this event was the GOWT banner. Titansfan must have it on his bed to help keep his mattress dry.

Prontopup (the host) displayed and discussed a number of useful tools for geocaching. One tool they left out was a"pooper scooper" for picking up Jackson area caches. I enjoyed the demonstration of cache containers, both ordinary as well as the unusual ones.

Bitbrain attempted to demonstrate some rudimentary techniques for solving puzzle caches. This is a difficult concept to try and explain so needless to say I didn't get much out of it.

It was a 2-hour event, and the part I enjoyed the least was sitting on those metal bleachers. They are very uncomfortable for thin people. At the end of the event, a lot of neat door prizes were given out. I didn't get one. I think the door prize drawing was rigged - just like the JAG georace.

No comments: