Monday, April 5, 2010

Oakland, TN - 3/27/2010

I didn't want to get up hunt caches before dawn like I did the previous week, so I made plans to go somewhere closer. Hard to believe, but I'd never cached in Oakland, TN before. I usually pass by it on my way to points east. On this day, I decided to hit Oakland around 8am. My first find of the day was Haunted Silos by kailuasquid (GC1H2NZ).


This cache was located on the far west side of Oakland, and was an eerie sight to behold. There was lots of potential for injury as well. I think I spent more time watching where I stepped, than looking for the cache. The acoustics inside the larger silo are quite interesting. After finally finding the first stage, the second was a breeze.

I hunted a hand full of park and grabs along Hwy 64 before a brief detour south to pick up a couiple of caches that sounded cool.

First on this list was The Leaning Tree of Pruitt by carterson2 (GC17M50). It turned out to be in the front of someone's yard on Pruitt Rd.

There were kids and a dog playing further back off of the road, so I parked to minimize being seen. The cache was an easy find and the tree looked like it had sustained some damage recently. The dog had to come out and say "goodbye" before I left.

On the way back to Oakland, I hunted Cypress Creek by Tiger130 (GC14TK3). It was in pretty good shape. It happened to be my 3300th cache find and the only Tiger130 multicache (out of 3) that I could find.

All-in-all, I enjoyed caching in Oakland. There were two nice parks that I struck out in, but I enjoyed their walking trails. I was disappointed that Oakland Trackables Depot #130 by Tiger130 (GC15K9H) had no coins, but that happens.

---

After leaving Oakland, I made some spur of the moment choices as where to cache next. I got gas in Somerville and hunted I.P. Yancey Park by kailuasquid (GC1H2MZ). I struck out at the nearby Frank's Windows by Somervillian (GC21E05), but there were lots of muggles around.

I headed south to Rossville and "The William B .Clark Conservation Area where I picked up The Nature Conservancy by kailuasquid (GC1QM8X) and the first stage of Six Sicks Icks by bitbrain (GCWD3A). Those were both along a nice boardwalk that traversed a cypress swamp. There were only a few people out here - one of whom recognized that I was geocaching. I took lots of pictures before heading into Collierville for more caching.


The caches I found in Collierville were somewhat interesting. What a "Pine" Library by TNLarry4 (GC24EYD) was at a familiar park (Halle Park) and cound have been tough if the camo had been a little better. It wasn't a park and grab, though. I found three caches by arcking, including Dead End: Nonconnah by Arcking (GC22YAF). That was a pleasant stroll along an abandoned road.

A Game of Cards by Arcking (GC22YB3) led me to a walking trail that I'd never noticed before on two previous caches to the area looking for other caches.

After hunting all of the remaining "easy" caches in Collierville, I decided to go north to the Dairy Queen near Scrumdillyishus by Berlan Eligab (GC1NMQ5). After striking out on this cache twice before, I expected to just enjoy an Oreo Blizzard and move on. I got lucky, though, and found the cache after dessert.

Back on the road, I headed west towards home. My last find of the day was Germantown Greenway Revisited by Prontopup (GC24J6X).

No comments: