Sunday, April 18, 2010

Southaven - Olive Branch, MS - 4/4/2010

It was a beautiful day for a cache hunt, but because it was Easter, I had other plans for the afternoon. I decided to spend the early part of the day caching in Southaven, MS - which is not far from Whitehaven, where I lived as a college student.

I decided to take Hwy 51 south which meant I would have the opportunity to hunt two South Memphis caches before making my way to Mississippi.

My first find was at a gas station at the corner of Winchester and Elvis Presley Blvd. - BittenApple's Imaginary Lines #1 – Winchester Line by BittenApple (GC22101). I lived in several places near here as a child, and it was "interesting" to see how the area has changed. Not far away was Aerotropolis TB Hotel by GC4EVR (GC1Y1KC). The way to this cache was surprisingly difficult for the last 100 feet, I can only imagine what fun it will be in the summer. For a TB hotel, there is no reason that I can see for it not being closer to the parking area...

I drove south to Shelby Drive and west to Elvis Presley Blvd. and passed by the Southland Mall. I have many fond memories of this place as a child and didn't wish to spoil them by going inside.

Before reaching Southaven, I had one more stop to make. I wanted to see the house I lived in with my Dad and brother while going to college. It is still a relatively nice area, but its heyday appears to be long gone.

[ My home between 1982 and 1987 ]

Onward to Southaven. As I crossed the border into Mississippi, I saw a "Crips" tag on a sign. Nice.

My first stop here was Emerald of Vicksburg by Sea Scout Ship 349 of Southaven, MS (GC1YAHX). It was a nice cache in a children's park. nice, except for this sign...

[ Sorry, I left my dice at home ]

I skipped two caches - one at a busy little church and the other in soneone's yard, but found a few others in the area and pretty much cleaned out this part of North Mississippi.

It ain't easy being green(Wal) by Will&Amy (GC1QPG5) was at a nice Walgreens and even had an interesting view of an old farm.

[ next to Walgreens ]

I ventured south and found May I see your License? by mrjlsmith (GC1FB1B). A well hidden ammo can near a driver's testing station.

Heading back north, I avenged a DNF at Bridge to Terabithia by Jschway901 (GC1Z563)

[ Bridge to Terabitha ]

Back to the north, I found Rutland Place Muggle Compound V2 by accarp04 and the Monkeys (GC1WQGX) under the (possibly) watchful eyes of local law enforcement and Business in Southaven #3 v2 by accarp04 and the monkeys (GC22D5P).

I headed east to Olive Branch and avenged DNFs at Got Groceries? by accarp04 (GC22N88), Catch some zzzzzz by accarp04 (GC22N8B), and You can't see me from here by fzxfazer (GC1WWKH). That last one is at a Chick-Fil-A, so Sunday was definitely the best day to hunt it.

My last cache of the day was Mooney and the Mooniacs by Sprout (GC112EF) back to the north in Memphis. My GPS was still acting flaky, so I used instinct to point me in the right direction.

[ View of the park ]

After this find, I plotted my way north to celebrate Easter with my family. I had to be there at 2pm and made it with 10 minutes to spare.

No comments: