Monday, February 11, 2008

Caching in Halls, TN - February 10, 2008

This was another great weekend to be outside and I almost missed it. I had wanted to cache in Halls because it was a small town with plenty of caches that I had passed through on my way to Dyersburg a couple of times. I planned to go Saturday, but once again was too tired (and lazy) to go anywhere.

Since I had to make a trip to visit family on Sunday, I figured I'd just get up early Sunday and do a little caching before meeting up with my family.

I woke up early on Sunday but couldn't get energized to go anywhere. I finally managed to leave my house just after 10 am and headed north along Hwy 51. I had only 4 hours before I had to meet my family in Rosemark, TN, and after checking with my GPSr's autorouting quickly realized that I wouldn't have much time to actually cache. This didn't bother me too much because I enjoy the drive along the highway - much more scenic that the Interstate. I also needed some supplies and knew I'd pass at least 4 Wal-Marts on the route I was taking.

Amazingly, once I got on the road my mood improved significantly! I drove for an hour or so before reaching the Rest Stop just south of Henning, TN where I needed to make a quick stop and reorganize my caching materials.

Sometime around 11:30am, I arrived at my first cache stop - Concord cemetery by i_am_wood (GCQ75Z). I parked too far away so I had to walk across the cemetary (there is parking right next to the cache). The brisk air was nice and stimulating. I had to use the cache log info to help me find this one. The log was damp so I bagged it. Next, I headed north to A Drop of Water by Bashful & JimmyLogan (GC148F8). This was a quick find in a good spot.

I headed a little further north into Halls where there was a small cluster of caches. Since I was really short on time, I skipped the high difficulty ones and went after the easier rated ones.

I made quick work of My first hide by blist (GC18M7Q) and skipped the nearby Acorn to Oak Cache because I had no time to be frustrated!


Little Red Caboose by Bashful & JimmyLogan (GC148ET) was a really good hide that took some searching on my part! It was across the street from the Halls Caboose Museum. I was a little nervous searching the area because the police station was across the street.

Another Lovers Lane by blist (GC18NV7) took a little longer to find than it should have because of some trash around the cache, but was a nice find in a muggle-free area.


I was tight on time so I headed next to Stories in Stone by Bashful & Jimmylogan (GCYD2X). It was an ammo can hide, so I hoped I would make a quick find. I did, but had problems retrieving the container. The area could definitely use some TLC! The final cache I went after was The Ugly Duckling by Bashful and JimmyLogan (GCYW57). I had heard good things about this cache and wanted to at least scout the location since I didn't have time for a protracted search. I found the cache pretty quickly - the coords were dead on. The log was a mess so my signature ended up a blue blob! I took a few pictures of the structure and the nearby water and hightailed it south to meet up with my family - I ended up being only 15 minutes late!

I enjoyed the Halls area and hope to return there soon. I liked the variety of hides and it was refreshing to not do Wal-Mart or gas station caches for a change. I know that when I go back I will definitely need to set aside more time to enjoy the sights!

1 comment:

Titansfan said...

Stories in Stone is one of my favorite caches along Hwy 51.