Sunday, February 17, 2008

Where Is Your God Now?



Seen today on MTGC's site:

With a happy heart I bring ya’ll my goodbyes from being a reviewer for Geocaching.com, the five years has been wonderful and very fulfilling for me personally. But I have come full circle is the great sport.

My family was kind enough to gather lots of toad stools and send them to da lily pad to buy me out of slavery from da frog and made it possible for me to retire hee hee , but not as a geocacher

Started out working with the Nashville Parks and Recreation department ( 2001 ) only 45 after starting this way cool sport, they were taking out geocaches and this begin a long career in the sport, within three months I started the local Geocaching club ( am still an officer ) second only to the GGA in Georgia for being oldest in the world. From there went on to work with the state parks in TN and 12 other agencies to developed Geocaching policy guidelines for their areas.

In mid Nov of last year (2007) the Nashville Parks and Recreation systems named me as head of their Geocaching Programs and permits for cache placements , I will not actually not be doing very much more work than I have been other than the buck will stop with me The park system has 109 parks with 12,433 acres plus and additional 35 miles of greenways.

As I said full circle, its time for me to set back and just enjoy the sport and let someone else have the good fortune of being a reviewer and being able to play the sport a little different than most.

Big Thanks to all of you for you support, and friendship over the years, hope to see all of ya’ll on the da trail one day

east bound and down

Joe // JoGPS // Max Cacher

I will always remember him as the reviewer who took punitive actions against GOWT on geocaching.com because he got his posting privileges temporarily suspended.

Update: 2/19/2008
On another blog I visit periodically, I read another "tribute" to JoGPS. I found this quote somewhat pathetic:

"Today I received the sad news that he has decided to step down from his responsibilities with GC.com as a Volunteer Reviewer.
Though I don't know all the reasons behind his decision, I do respect it. I have a few ideas, but I'll keep them to myself."

All I have to say to the author is that all that bitterness will eat you up inside. If you suspect some hidden reason for his "retirement", why don't you just ask him? ;-)

5 comments:

Titansfan said...

What I will remember was a reviewer I could call to get geo-legal advise prior to submitting a event or geocache. I also remember the time in Ashland City, he went out of his way to met us at the opposite end of the 6-mile trail to take the drivers back to their vehicles. Most importantly, I will remember the time on the Stones River trail, while I was in much pain, he offered to take -boatman- and myself back to our trucks.

Max also attended the recent GOWT event.

Mackheath said...

I'll also remember being called a "trouble maker" because I dared question his abilities to interpret rules for approving events.

flame-red said...

While I certainly had differences of opinion with MaxCacher, I always respected his knowlege of the RASHO of geocaching, and to call them as he saw them. Whenever he was unable to approve a cache of mine, he always offered constructive information that made the approval possible with a few small changes in what was said on the cache page.

I look forward to seeing him again, as it was indeed a pleasure seeing him at the GOWT annual event. It was an encouragement to those that had worked to make it a memorable event for all that attended.

Mackheath said...

"It was an encouragement to those that had worked to make it a memorable event for all that attended."

If the goal of GOWT was to sacrifice integrity in order to get Max Cacher on your good side, then I am sure that you were successful.

Mackheath said...

"I always respected his knowlege of the RASHO of geocaching, and to call them as he saw them."

As you know, he approved an event at a baseball game (not allowed) and had no problems with it being rated a 5/5.

THE DIAMOND JAXX AND THE FRIENDS OF THE TRACE by volnut (GC12CJY)

Calls them like he sees them, indeed. I hope he enjoyed the game.