Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Race for the Cure - October 25, 2008

This was my 4th year participating in Race for the Cure. The race was a 5k where the start and finish is located near the Saddle Creek shopping center in Germantown, TN. Race organizers estimate they had around 15,000 entrants this year (same as most years) and I was one of about 500 timed racers. The weather was cold, but sunny, and other than the crowds during the first mile, I had a great race.

Afterwards, I enjoyed some pizza and a banana and lots of water before running back to the Agricenter (roughly 2 miles north) where I parked my car.

After getting back to my car, I decided that I would hunt a couple of park and grab caches nearby. I don't normally like caching in my running clothes because I figure I'm more likely to lock my keys in the car, but this time I risked it.

Germantown Parkway is a very busy street on most days, and this day (morning) was no exception. The first cache I went after was Where A Kid Can Be A Kid by Pixiemama (GC1EMZX). I had to outwait a carload of muggles parked next to the cache, and after they left I felt a bit exposed, but I made the find. Had I been here on any other day, I might have gone inside for pizza. Anyways, I got back on the road and headed less than a mile south for the second and final cache of the morning: Preggo #1 by Pixiemama (GC1FA46). There was an open door near the cache, and I could have easily been spotted if someone had stepped outside. I got lucky, though, and got in and out of the area undetected.

There were a few more caches I could have gone after, but I needed to go home and get cleaned up before eating lunch.

No comments: