Monday, April 13, 2009

Nonconnah Greenbelt Park - April 11, 2009

Saturday was a beautiful day for caching and jbgreer and I decided to take advantage of it and hunt the caches in Nonconnah Greenbelt Park. I mapped out 7 caches in the park to do and two warmups for on the way over.

I met jbgreer at his house around 8:30am and we set off. The first cache of the day was Giving Back #3 Here you go Memphis! by jeffbouldin (GC1JVPE). I knew from the cache logs online that this would be an easier find than its rating of 2/5 would suggest. In fact, it turned out to be a walk-up cache - the easiest one of the day... Next, was Heatwave by FamilyInFilm, CodeMission, GirlinFilm, & CoolZX11 (GC155M4). This one had been on my list of to-do's for a while. The solution to the puzzle hit me just a few days after I had been in close proximity to the cache spot. It, too, was an easy find (by design).

Properly warmed up, we headed south to Nonconnah Greenbelt Park. After finding the information for the final stage of Caching A,B,Z's by tinksdad01 (GC1A3WP) near the parking area, we set off in search of more difficult caches. We both brought our rubber boots and they came in handy! Of course it would have worked out better if my boots were about a foot taller...


Hmmmm... the first find of the woods was De-Hydration by tinksdad01 (GC1NQC5). Lack of water was not a problem for this area. If I remember correctly, while hunting this cache, my right leg sunk deeper than the height of my boot.

Its all york by bryboy#1 (GC1M7BM) was our next find. Lots of swamp wading followed by a tough search. The coords were good, but the container was small and well-hidden.

Wild Turkey by Abiectio (GC1MAFY) was a neat hide. We saw plenty of turkey feathers in the area.

After overcoming a might obstacle, we made our way to the next cache: Mirror, mirror by Abiectio (GC1KME9). This was probably my favorite cache of the day! I can't say why, though - it would spoil the surprise.


The Saga of the Frozen Dozen by Abiectio (GC1MAGA) was next. I liked the cache, but the cache page was a pain in the rear to navigate through. Basically a lot of pictures and story about a cache hunt that had nothing to do with this cache.

Penny's Worth Of Trouble by ProntoPup, Hoot Owl, and Tinksdad01 (GC1P01D) was a typical prontopup hide - it was well done. We were having trouble finding it until I read the FTF log on my Palm Pilot. It was also our last find of the day. There is now only one cache unfound by us in this park, and it is a puzzle cache that we haven't solved yet. Spoilers in that cache's online log led me to believe it was in this park.

Somewhere in the above mix, we found the final stage of Caching A,B,Z's by tinksdad01 (GC1A3WP). Biggest/tallest ammo can I think I have seen. We had some problems getting out the letters needed to form our caching names (a requirement of the cache). I had to use a "W" as an "M". When we went to put the container back, jbgreer noticed a small green frog on the side of the can.


The hike back to the truck was considerably easier than the hike in. However, the obstacles we had to overcome were there regardless. All in all it was a fun day!

No comments: