Monday, February 15, 2010

Caching in Jackson, TN - 2/13/2010

With the weather being somewhat unpredictable, it was tough trying to pick a spot for the next great geocaching adventure. On this cold Saturday I chose Jackson, TN - the land of JAG.

I rolled out of bed and got out of the house about an hour later than I had planned. After getting my morning caffeine fix, I hit the road.

My first stop was the rest stop on I-40 just east of Jackson. I usually have to make a pit stop here and on this day found two caches as well.

I-40 E Rest Stop - TB MOTEL by nJOYgctoo (GC23M5B) was the first find of the morning. I followed tracks in the snow leading away from the parking area. It was designed to be (and was) and easy find.

Before leaving, I found I-40 E ANOTHER CACHE HERE #1 by nJOYgctoo (GC23M5K). There were trucks parked nearby, but I think the drivers were sleeping. Nice quick find. I left tracks for the next geocachers (which turned out to be prontopup and tiger130) to find.

I think I have found more caches at this rest stop than any other. I left here about 9 am and headed into Jackson.

Most of my targets for this day were south in Bemis, but first I made a stop at MH Cache by dalls (GC235B8) where I wasted 30 minutes searching for the cache. I started by looking at the two holly bushes closest to the coordinates that had been damaged by previous hunters. Oh well.

Next I hunted Mimosa Tree by TurndAround (GC145RD) and Oh What Fun! by cedarbear (GC18892) - two caches I DNF'ed on before. Mimosa trees lose their leaves in the wintertime, so that cache took all of two minutes to find. "Oh What Fun" had two previous DNFs by me. I finally found it, though.

My next stop was the Jackson Train Museum. From here I hunted MYSTERY MURAL by nJOYgctoo (GC237N0).

Afterwards, I walked a short distance to the Jackson Artesian Well Earthcache. While attempting to take my own picture, I met two cachers - Team KC - from Union City. They were actually there to hunt a letterbox - Jackson Back in the Day by dalls (GC236QG) a few feet from the well. Since I didn't have the coordinates for it, they let me sign the log after they did. Then they took my picture at the earthcache.

After parting ways, I headed south to Bemis where I found a bunch of caches. I also had a few DNFs.

Coming back north I stopped at Kate Campbell Park, where I had bad luck before. This time I found Kate's @ Camp Bell by TurndAround (GCX65A). I'm picking off these caches about one a trip it seems.

I headed north and found a few more caches including Take Off by jndmac & robbie1467 "Team Laf UR Cache Off" (GC1B31T).

As I was leaving a father and son came up to hunt the cache.

I stopped at the Old Medina Winery to hunt Wine Anyone? by nascarjunk (GC1Z4BP). The hunt was easy because all of the cover was gone, but unfortunately so was the bottom part of the cache.

[ Old Medina Winery ]

I hunted Another Dead End In J-Town by nascarjunk (GC14EE4) which was in pretty bad shape too.

My day was about over and it was time to eat. After striking out at the Cracker Barrel, I figured I'd hunt two more caches before ending my day.

Liberty Gardens by dalls (GC235BN) and Stubby Cache by dalls (GC235BT) were in the same park - Liberty Gardens, and I hiked from one end of the park to the other. I saw that prontopup and tiger130 had been there just before me. I later saw in one of the online logs, a picture of tiger130 wearing a JAG cap. How disgusting!

Anyways, the day was done and I ended up eating at Chick-Fil-A. They had a V-Day promotion where if you bought one dessert you got a second one for free. I had two pieces of cheesecake. One with strawberry topping and the other with blueberry. Nice!

All in all, I enjoyed my day in Jackson. I seem to always have a high number of DNFs here for some reason, though. Most are caches from the JAG georace held last summer.

This will be my last trip to Jackson for probably a year or so. I have seen the same sights and dealt with the same traffic too many times. My next goal for Tennessee is to hit the northern part of west Tennessee.

No comments: