Thursday, February 4, 2010

Solving Puzzle Caches

I mentioned in my last entry about how an organization like GOWT that has been around 5 years should have a wealth of information available to its members about geocaching and puzzle solving, but doesn't.

Here are some links to puzzle solving tutorials that I found while reading the geocaching.com forums. They are courtesy of a blog called I’d Rather Be Caching.

Solving Puzzle Caches
Solving Puzzle Caches: Codes
Solving Puzzle Caches: Ciphers

4 comments:

Robert Wardell said...

Puzzle caches are definitely my biggest weakness. There have always been a few that jumped off the page at me but for the most part, I definitely struggle with the puzzles and many times end up skipping the cache. I have at times emailed previous finders and begged for a bone but I really do hate doing that.

For some time now, I have been working on the Mega Multi and though getting all the caches is not really a problem, I have torn the narrative apart and just don't get the "consecutive letters" or how to figure them out. Maybe something in your links will smack me and help out.

Hope to see you at the GOWT event in Mason. I know you have your feelings about GOWT but hey, you are entitled to them as we all are. Hopefully it won't keep you from the BBQ and pie.

Stinger

Mackheath said...

I actually wrote a search program to solve the Mega Multi puzzle. It worked remarkably well. Too bad I've never run across another puzzle like that...

Robert Wardell said...

LOL - care to share the program? :>)

Mackheath said...

Sorry, no can do. It would violate my general policy of not spoiling other people's caches. I've tried to be good about that. :-)