Sunday, August 7, 2011

Edmund Orgill Park - 8/7/2011

With the temperature being so hot this summer, I've pretty much been in hibernation from geocaching. That being said, when I saw The SBC goes to Tennessee by The SBC (GC30CK), an event cache in Millington, TN come up, I figured I'd go to the event, eat breakfast and talk to a few folks, and then come straight home.

The event was at 9am on Sunday and by a miracle, I made it to the restaurant on time. I met up with jackthebear in the parking lot and we went in together. I was surprised to find that everybody else was already there.

[ Not a bad group for a Sunday morning ]

As the event came to a close, jackthebear and peanutpapa suggested hunting
Edmund Orgill Park Working Out the Numbers. by poetintenn and Alex Layne (GC2VXHK). I thought it would be fun to hunt a cache or two with these guys, so I invited myself along. Since the park was only a few miles away from the restaurant, jackthebear offered to drive us over in his car. Peanutpapa ended up taking his own vehicle, because he had to run a quick errand before meeting up with us at the park.

When jackthebear and I got to the park, we first stopped at
Edmund Orgill Park - George Washington was here??? by poetintenn and Alex Layne (GC2THX2). Both he and peanutpapa had found the cache before, so I hunted it alone while we waited for peanutpapa to meet us. The immediate area around the cache was teeming with gnats, making it very tough to search. During a pause in the search, I read the cache description more closely and made a guess about the cache which turned out to be correct.

Right after I found the cache, peanutpapa met up with us and we headed as a group to the next cache -
Edmund Orgill Park Working Out the Numbers. We parked in a lot about 400 feet away from the cache and headed for the coordinates. The cache page states that the cache has a combination lock and that there are at least two ways to come up with the combination.

One way (listed in the hint) involved finding a nearby water tower and measuring 3 distances from a set point (described in the hint). The other way involved some creative thinking. Since it was hot, we just decided to try to come up with the combination ourselves. After a few failed efforts, I observed something that gave me a clue what needed to be done. Peanutpapa followed up on it and came up with the combination. Jackthebear opened the lock. I'm not sure how long it took us to get it open, but it was before we could break a sweat.

Having no other caches on our list, we parted ways, with jackthebear taking me back to the restaurant so I could get my car and drive home. I gave some thought to picking up an additional cache or two on the way home, but decided to wait for cooler weather.

No comments: