Saturday, August 20, 2011

International Geocaching Day - 8/20/2011

I had discovered only a few days beforehand that Saturday, August 20 was being declared the first International Geocaching Day. I read that people who attended an event or found a geocache on this day would get a "special" souvenir on their geocaching.com profile. Since my local geocaching organization chose not the host an event on this auspicious occasion, I figured I'd step out and hunt a single cache. When jbgreer called me and said he wanted to hunt a few caches, I made plans to hunt three or four caches with him, and then go with him to Millington where he could hunt a couple of neat caches I had found the weekend before.

When Saturday came, we met for a delicious breakfast before beginning the hunt.

Our first find of the day was Rueda Vieja by thefamilybush (GC2N34E). It had a nice wet log for us to sign. Camino y Árbol by thefamilybush (GC2VA3Q) was nearby and we found it in good order. Since it was so hot out, and I wanted to make sure we had time to head up to Millington, TN, we skipped over some caches, stopping only for ones I thought would be out of sight of muggles.

Plantation Park by aschrack (GC2WDMR) was on our way and was in a nice new park in the Davies Plantation area. After finding the cache near the parking area. I climbed a small hill to survey the rest of the park.

[ There was a winding walking trail around the lake ]

She hates nature by kasitay (GC2TB9M) was in I. H. Managerial Park in Lakeland, TN. I have been after this cache twice before. New coordinates made this trip out there a success. The cache was 30 feet or so west of the area I searched before. It made a big difference.

[ Only two people out fishing today... ]

Wisteria Gift Attic & Tea Room by magicrock (GC22539) was our next goal. Both jbgreer and I always enjoy magicrock's caches and this one was no exception. The coordinates were a little rough, but I finally found the unique camo on this nanocache.

After finding the last cache, I was ready to head to Millington and Edmund Orgill Park. I was certain the jbgreer would find the two caches there as interesting as I did. It was getting very cloudy as we approached Edmund Orgill Park - George Washington was here??? by poetintenn and Alex Layne (GC2THX2). This was a tough hide, but jbgreer walked right up to it. As he signed the log, I noticed nearby fishermen gathering up their stuff. The wind was starting to pick up and rain was on the way. We decided to go ahead and try the last cache on the list - Edmund Orgill Park Working Out the Numbers. by poetintenn and Alex Layne (GC2VXHK). This cache had been moved by the owner due to muggles and someone (probably the owner) had written additional clues on the container that made it too easy to get into. Still, jbgreer had trouble with the container just as jackthebear, peanutpapa and I had the week before. The rain didn't help. Fortunately, he got to the log, signed it and then we got back to the car as quick as we could. We had lots of rain and even some small hail as we were leaving the area.

The rain cleared out by the time we got back to Memphis. I had a great time as always and a few days later saw an "International Geocaching Day" souvenir show up on my geocaching profile.


No comments: