Wednesday, August 31, 2011

"The General" - 8/30/2011

The General by ace61502, badcooky81 (GC33209) is the third geocache placed in Forrest Park near Downtown Memphis over the years. The first cache - Forrest Park by ArkansasBugman (GCEAF2) - was the first cache I found by myself back in 2004. I found that cache by using a map and the cache hint to figure out where it was. That cache was archived.

The second cache -That Devil Forrest by Chasseur (GCWJAW) -was hidden in one of the small trees that surrounded the monument. Those trees were later cut down, I believe to discourage the people who liked to sleep next to the monument.

The newest cache was approved only a few days ago and has had a couple of visitors. Since it is located not far from where I work, I decided to go after it after work.

[ Run Forrest, run... ]

As with the previous caches here, I used satellite imagery to gauge where I should look. When I got near the statue, I saw a gentleman planted on the bench near the search area, as well as three visitors to the statue itself. I decided to go have dinner and then come back.

After dinner, the park was empty. It was about 90 minutes before the park's closing time and the sun was still up. The cache wasn't tough to find, but I did find several objects before finding the cache container. I found two empty vodka bottles and a pair of rusty vice grips. The cache was bigger than any in the area before and held several trade items.

[ This bench near "The General" frequently hosts "day residents" of the park ]

No comments: