Saturday, March 24, 2012

Germantown, TN - 3/24/2012

The plan on this day was to go to an event - Who'd of Guessed 5 years later by lacey38655 and Prontopup (GC3BX46). The event was in the afternoon, so I picked out a few area caches to hunt beforehand. I left my house later than I had planned, but had plenty of time to stop in one of my favorite Germantown parks - Cameron Brown Park. It is usually a very busy park, so I parked near the entrance, not knowing that there were places to park that were nearer to my first find of the day. It didn't matter, though, because it was only a 1/4 mile or so to Field of Play
by prontopup (GC3DX2F). It was a quick find and on this day the nearby fields of play were empty for maintenance work.

[ The walk to the cache hinted at the possibility of wet grounds. ]

[ Fields of Play ]

Normally, to get to the second cache of the day, I would have had to cut through the woods, or exit the park and attach it from another entrance, but because a road is being built through the edge of the woods, I was able to use it to get within 200 feet of the cache - JBbaby
by jacobhenry (GC2PZ6B). Here I had to be careful of the wet ground, but I made my way to the cache and back out with dry feet.

[ Wolf River Blvd - extended ]

Afterwards, I walked along the southern edge of the park until I got back to my car. I did cut in to see the view of the cool man-made lake, though.

[ Plenty of ducks and people around. ]

Once I got back to my car, I realized that the event was a straight shot down the road from me. I got to the restaurant a little early, so I walked around the area to see what other businesses were there.

[ Most of the attendees ordered something to eat. ]

Once I went inside, I sat with chimps8mybaby and his family at a booth near the door. Peanutpapa and his wife soon joined us. As usual, I didn't do much talking or mingling, but I got to see a few neat coins and talk to a few people.

As the event was ending, I heard that shandrum was going with bitbrain, tiger130, and pippn98 to Herb Parsons Lake so that pippin98 - bitbrain's son could make the climb to reach Purple Heart by Tiger130 (GC38YDJ). Although, I was among the last to leave, I somehow made it to the park first, so I went out to take pictures of the lake and see if I could spot the cache since the leaves started filling in the trees.

[ The lake ]

Shortly after I failed to spot the cache, I met up with the others. We hiked to the spot and shandrum quickly got things set up. He demonstrated another climbing technique that got him up to the cache in less than 3 minutes. After coming back down, he rigged up the harness for pippin98, gave him some quick instructions and sent him up the tree. It took him about 10 minutes to make the climb. He signed the log and came back down. No one else wanted to make the climb on this day, so we packed up and headed back to the parking area where we parted ways.

[ pippin98 nears the cache ]

I walked over and visited the monument near the parking area before I left. The inscription at the bottom reminded me of bitbrain and his son.

[ "If you hunt with your boy, you will never have to hunt for him." - Herb Parsons ]

After leaving here, I picked up three more quick caches in Germantown before heading home.

No comments: