Monday, March 19, 2012

My Favorite Cache Finds of 2011

I'm a little late with this list because I hunted fewer caches in 2011 that in most of the years I've been caching.

[ I'll clean this up a little and elaborate more on some of the finds. ]

Micro -Wisteria Gift Attic & Tea Room by magicrock (GC22539)
It was tough to pick a favorite micro, because they tend not to stand out in my mind. This one was interesting because of its unique camo.

Regular - Casper Creek Troll by poetintenn and alex layne (GC323K7)
This was one of three excellent caches placed in Edmund Orgill Park by this team. This one, in particular, was special because of its construction.

Multi - 346 Cubic Inches (GC2Q6HD)
This was a three-stage cache in one of my favorite wildlife areas in Collierville, TN. It was a cleverly-implemented design that provided us with a lot of laughs! Jbgreer and I ran into two other cachers while out there and it was fun to hunt with company.

Event - hdrider55 Rides Their Way to 1K by nelms3 (GC34GFP)
I went to at least 5 different events this year, and this one stands out because I met more people than I usually do at events.

CITO Event - None this year.

Mystery - Tough to choose a single cache in this category. Here are four that I hunted with jbgreer that all had interesting puzzles:

1) Princess Jasmine's Box of Jewels by Steve&GeoCarolyn (GC1XBBZ)
This was a lot of fun to work out even with Disney songs bouncing around in my head.

2) Flip Dizzy - Flip Out by Abiectio (GC1CW22)
This cache was the penultimate of a series that jbgreer and I started years before. The final hike gave us a chance to reflect on all of the techniques used to solve the various puzzles of the series.

3) INVISIBLE by MagicRock (GC24K70)
This cache had a unique quality that I hadn't ever seen before! It also taught me to carry additional tools with me on a cache hunt.

4) ANGLES AND DIMENSIONS by magicrock (GC2P9YF)
I got extremely lucky on what could have been an incredibly difficult cache puzzle. The container, itself, contained a special surprise. The cache taught me that everything you notice around you might become useful for solving cache puzzles.

Earthcache - None this year.

Favorite Power Trail: Diabetic Series Cache (DSC - 1) by EverywhereActs1:8 (GC2QTN9)
This was a relatively quick 20 finds, but it was interesting country to visit.

GPS Adventures Exhibit - GPS Adventures Arkansas - ASU Museum by Groundspeak (GC2GJM4)
This was my first such exhibit to attend. I got there on the last day it was open, so I was the only one there at the time. I bought a cool geocoin from the museum's gift shop.

Virtual - None this year.

Favorite Cache of the Year: This turned out to be a tough pick this year, because I found a lot of really great geocaches this year.

Jackson's Hole on Strawberry by Eldon, Denise Jackson, Kaylie Clark (GC1GZWF)
This cache was special because I hunted it with family. I got to hike in the snow in July with my Mom, uncle and aunt in a beautiful wilderness area. We got to hunt a lot of caches that day and had a lot of fun.

No comments: