Thursday, March 1, 2012

Leapin' Lizards - 2/29/2012

I'm not really working to have a cache find for every day of the calendar, but because February 29 only comes once every four years, I figured I'd make an effort in case I do decide to try someday. That is why I was happy to see an event pop up for that day.

[ Interesting log for the event. I didn't notice the trackable coin at the bottom left until later. ]

For February 29th, there was supposed to be rain. It made me a little apprehensive about driving acros the county through busy rush hour traffic for an event. The rain had ended by the time I got off of work, so on to the event it was. I decided to hunt T.D.D. #7 by dragon9981 (GC2MJPH) (at a Walgreen's) along the way in order to make sure I had at least one cache find for the day. After that, I headed straight to the event location.

I actually arrived at Booya's in Collierville around 6pm, an hour early. I decided to walk east and pick up T.D.D. #11 by dragon9981 (GC2RA30) (again at a Walgreen's). I also walked over to the nearby Collierville Towne Center 16 movie theater to see what was playing, in case I wanted to catch a late movie before going home. It turns out that their last showings of the day were around 7pm.

Around 6:30pm, I returned a missed call from jbgreer, who it turned out would not be able to make the event. As I was getting off of the phone, I saw abiectio walk up, so I ended up following him into the restaurant. Team hdrider55 came in right behind us. I got to discover some cool coins while I was in line - of course, I forgot to bring mine.

As I got to the front of the line and paid for my meal, I saw one of the hosts, tiger130, heading for the room where the event was being held. I went into the room and found an empty table off to the side because I don't really like eating close to other people. Soon I was joined by bevofan. I was pleased to meet AmiteMaid, who told me that she reads my blog. I'm always surprised when I meet someone who reads it.

After I saw someone drop off a travel bug, I remembered that I had one in my pocket that was in a race - 2012 Great TB Race - CedarPointSpaz. When I had marked it as dropped off on the cache page earlier, the owner of the bug also left a message on the page asking people to help it out. The hosts of the event, bitbrain and tiger130 had read the note and very graciously took the TB around the room for people to discover - which was one of the ways it earned points in its race. They also arranged for another cacher to take it move it on. I thought that was pretty cool!

The rest of the event was spent mostly mingling with others, talking about caching and caching adventures. I had a lot of fun, and it didn't seem that long before it was over. I enjoyed the traffic-light drive back to Memphis.

----

For the curious, here is a link to the race that the travel bug I dropped is in: The Annual Great TB Race and the 2012 Race Rankings.


No comments: