Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Perseid Meteor Shower - July 12

On Sunday night, August 12th, I attended The Perseid Meteor Shower by minismiths and 76Stinger (GC14MDA)

Since it was held in Atoka, TN and I have family in that area, I took advantage of the opportunity to visit with them for a while before the event took place. I recently adopted a cache in Atoka and have several in the area to find. I hope one day to get my family in the area involved in geocaching.

I arrived a little late to the event - around 8:15pm and there were already lots of people there. It was a fairly hot day but by evening had cooled enough where the temperature was not a problem. As it was getting dark, Prontopup, Sprout, and Itcomagic invited me to go hunt the nearby cache A.R.P. "Can you Fathom This?" by minismiths (GC150RN) with them. SpyGirl2011 was already at the first stage site looking around. The hunt was made more interesting by the fact it was dark, but we found the final stage after not too much time and headed back to the event. There were a couple of other new caches placed around the area for this event, but since I'm not a big fan of night caching I decided to save them for later.


Several people traveled a significant distance to attend this event and we were glad to see everybody. My good friend pcsenn drove all of the way from Troy, TN to attend the event and present Hoot Owl with the original GOWT banner he retrieved recently.

I was paying too much attention to the conversations to notice the meteor shower but I did manage to see a few impressive flashes of light moving quickly across the sky. I was amazed at how brief the flashes were - only visible for a few seconds.

We had sponsors for the event who generously provided door prizes. I won an Armed Forces Challenge Coin that was pretty neat. Lots of folks won poison ivy wash/block which they appreciated. One young cacher won a space pen which she later lost in the dark while hunting the nearby cache. PoohBear94 went by the site the next day and found it for her.

I'll have to get an accurate count of how many attended this event, but the turnout was great - especially given that it was held late Sunday evening/early Monday morning. I imagine I was not the only sleepyhead at work on Monday.

Hoot Owl and I were the last to leave at roughly 1:10am. I took my time driving home as I wasn't too excited about driving around in Memphis in the wee hours of the morning.

My thanks to minismiths and 76Stinger for hosting this excellent event. I am looking forward now to Geocaching At Munford Celebrate by 76Stinger (GC14B4V)

No comments: