Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Letters to Santa

"THANK YOU FOR THE EDIT IN A RECENT POST ON GEOCACHING.COM THIS SHOULD NOT HAPPEN!! THIS IS HAPPENING ALOT WHAT IS THE STOPPING POINT FOR THE BAD COMMENTS FROM ONES MOUTH??? THIS SHOULD BE A IMMEDIATE BAN FROM GEOCACHING PERIOD!! MY REQUEST IS TO GIVE THIS A BAN FROM GEOCACHING FOR THIS VIOLATION !! IF YOU DO NOT FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH THIS TAKE IT TO ANOTHER REVIEWER WHO WILL DO IT!! THANKS"

This is not an actual letter to Santa. Letters to Santa usually make more sense than this.

This is instead a post made on the JAG forums presumably under their "Ask The Reviewer" section. I don't know for sure yet because the quote was sent to me by a loyal reader of my blog. The post itself was made by one of the "charter members" of JAG. The "charter members" of this group are presumably the ones who determine the philosophy or direction of the group.

Here is the horrible post I made that prompted the above quote:
"I can not attend this event because I choose not to associate with members of the JAG NATION. In particular, I choose not to associate with the core members of JAG."

The above ALL CAPS post is actually a follow-up to an earlier attempt to get me "banned from geocaching".

"How much trash does one have to talk about a reviewer to get banned from geocaching!! I thnk this needs a hard look because if someone gives the time for free for a sport I think people need to keep there mouth shut!! Thanks for all the reviewers do! Your friend the NUT!!! I realize this might be a higher up question than just you to give response bet in the name of geocaching go higher if you have to ta get this resolved!!! Thanks Max for all you do!! And for that mater all the reviewers!!!"

The last time such a post was made, two separate reviewers commented that basically reviewers have received far worse criticisms and simply took it as part of the job.

Here is a comment made by one of the reviewers who posted under her regular caching name:

"The Reviewers are fine people for the most part. You would think they would be the ones with random power trips?!?! But rather it is the cachers that have fits of crazy power--of the mouth--or keyboard in many cases. I think some people just have to have someone to beat up on and these people make it the reviewers. I will say this--GroundSpeak chooses reviewers based on a whole lot of qualities--One is a tough skin!! People are alsways pushin', shovin', and smack talkin' the reviewers. Some of the stories Max has shared with us are just amazing. I think most of us here know how crazy people can get over a game!!!"

The person who made the above statement is also a "charter member" of JAG. I am not certain where the "power trip" comment is coming from. How do you get on a "power trip" by hiding or seeking or discussing Tupperware containers? In this case I had chosen to respond (inappropriately) to a poster in our forums who chose to blame me for some threads being closed by pointing out their incorrect use of spelling and grammar. The poster also happened to be a volunteer cache reviewer. The only part of the above quoted statement I agree with is the first sentence. As for the qualities Groundspeak uses to choose reviewers - that will be the topic of a future blog entry.

1 comment:

Mackheath said...

Certainly the ability to "approve" your own caches and events qualifies as power!