Sunday, March 23, 2008

Easter Weekend 2008

This would have been a nice weekend to do nothing but hunt geocaches. The weather was sunny and cool - perfect for hiking.

Saturday afternoon I had to be in Tipton County to celebrate a nephew's 13th birthday. I spent the day kind of leisurely. I got up late and drove to the Oak Court Mall to buy some new clothes for a conference I will be attending soon. I picked this place because it was close to Vance & Chance #3: Holiday Inn by itcomagic (GCY4VE), my first caching find of the day. This cache had been recently replaced and it was easy to see why. The location (the site of the first Holiday Inn) was good, but caches hidden in landscaping don't last long because people actually landscape here.

I had planned to hit some caches in Arlington and actually made it out there but I ran out of time and had to head on to Rosemark, TN to eat birthday cake. I left my family earlier than expected and grabbed a few caches on the way home.

Mudville Country Market by minismiths (GC150XW) was really close by from my starting point. I had tried this one before on a much gloomier day with no luck. This time I found it within seconds. I actually got a hint from the picture in the cache logs, but the coords were good as well. Next, I headed south to FTF Pirate # 7 - Boltn' Loose by magicrock (GC1344H). This is another one that I had hunted before (last Christmas Day) with absolutely no luck. This day, however, I managed to find it. This is some of the most incredibly effective and original camo I have ever seen! I took some pictures for my personal archives and headed back out.

I had just over an hour of daylight left so I headed southeast to Arlington. I scouted the area for You Can't Buy Ice Cream Here by cgeek (GC11PZR), but couldn't stop there. I then headed to Look Again by cgeek (GC13H0M) which was a quick LPC. Next, I struck out on Old School NBA by masmason12 (GC12BWC) making it 1-for-3 in beautiful Arlington. I headed northeast to Braden where I hunted Fishin' at Braden Station by Tiger130 (GC15HWW). This was an interesting spot andI found the cache quickly, but I could not get the top unscrewed. I almost giave up when I remember that I had picked up a twisted hunk of wire next to my car that morning and hadn't gotten around to throwing it away. It worked perfectly to open this cache! I took a few pictures of the gravestones nearby and headed northeast to my final find of the day, XXX. This was a cache near Bozo's Restaurant in Mason, TN. I think I got lucky because it was getting dark, and I had trouble seeing the cache. Pleased with my day, I got back on the interstate and headed home.

---

On Sunday, I had plans to go back to Rosemark for Easter dinner with my family. I had more time early in the day but I chose to spend a lot of it sleeping and just lazing about. I didn't hunt any caches on my way north to Rosemark, but coming home, once again, I had some daylight so decided to hunt two caches I had missed the day before.

You Can't Buy Ice Cream Here by cgeek (GC11PZR) was an easy find with a really cool container. I had skipped it the day before because it required pulling off to the side of what can be a busy rooad. Today was much calmer so I made the stop.

My second and last stop of the day was at Old School NBA by masmason12 (GC12BWC). I had hunted this the day before with no luck (I think the coords may be a bit off). I found it on this day well-hidden but soaking wet inside. I took a couple of pictures of the park and took I-40 back into Memphis. Another weekend passes in the blink of an eye.

No comments: