Sunday, March 2, 2008

West Memphis, AR - March 2, 2008

The last time I cached here was December 3, 2006 with jbgreer. We came here and found all but one of the caches in the area. Since that time the area has been replenished with a fresh supply of geocaches. Most of these new caches in the West Memphis area were placed by Abiectio.

Today was a great day to go geocaching. It was a bit windy, but the temperature was around 70 degrees by the time I finished. I woke up bright and early this morning, but took my sweet time leaving the house. I gathered together my materials and left just after 9am. I picked Sunday rather than my usual Saturday for a cache hunt because I figured the traffic would be lighter.

My first stop of the morning was For Bruce by cgeek (GC175Z0). I had planned to leave this one until last, but it turned out to be on the same route as the next cache on my list. Thankfully this was my only "gas station" cache of the day. Cache number two was One Year Later by Abiectio (GC153M8). It was at a small park and had convenient parking and no muggles. I was expecting a different type of hide so I spent a bit of time looking in the wrong area. As a last effort I looked where the cache actually was. I have found several of this type but always smile when I see one like it.

Just down the road was Fallen Heroes by Abiectio (GC153C8), a two-stage multicache. I got the necessary information at the first stage location, took some pictures and headed for the second stage location. I must have gotten something wrong because I couldn't find a cache at the projected location. No worries though, because I was not too terribly far away from my next two finds. [Update: I miscounted the number of stars on the front of the monument, D'oh!]


Who is Tilden Rodgers? by Abiectio (GC153BE) was a quick find and I managed to get in and out before muggles arrived. The next cache, CAA I-40/275 - Tilden Rodgers by Abiectio (GC1597W), was at the other end of the same park. After finding it, I took some pictures of the birds on the lake. The water was a pretty color, kind of a light turquoise. After checking out the nearby ball field, I got back out on the road heading north.

After a wrong turn or two, I got on the right road for American Lifeblood by Abiectio (GC15989). I found the cache quickly and got back in my car before the oncoming truck in front of me had a chance to stop and ask why I was stopped in literally the middle of nowhere.


Next I headed north to Crittenden Memorial Cemetery. There were two caches there - Old Glory by Abiectio (GC11HEJ) and Pet Land by Abiectio (originally by Arkansas Bugman) (GC173V0). The first one took a little more time than the second. I took some pictures and moved on a short distance to the west where I hunted PVT 544 Engineers by Abiectio (GC1598Q). This was a cool two-stage multi. I appreciate it when the stages of a multicache are within walking distance. I took pictures of several interesting headstones. Some appeared to be homemade.

I headed east to Foul Ball by itsmebigd (GC19AP3) which I found quickly. I struck out at Esparanza Bonanza by itsmebigd (GC19B5N) which sucked because I had problems finding the right road to get to the site. Once there, I read the previous logs and saw several DNF's in a row. I looked for a bit and moved on. [When I got back to work, I found this cache had been archived.]

I then headed east on the road to Mound City and found Lonesome by Abiectio (GC11P04) and Lonesome Pine by Abiectio (GC11NZC). The first of those two was at an area with some construction debris lying around it. Interesting only in that this one big tree had survived the nearby construction. There were a few grave sites just to the east of the cache. The second of the two was a little roadside pullover and was a lot more "scenic" and a good place to relax for a minute. At this point I realized I had plenty of time left so I headed back into West Memphis for one more cache.

The last cache I went after was MLK Park Multi by Abiectio (GC153N5). This was a two-stage multicache that required waypoint projection. My projection results were rough so I ended up searching several likely spots before finally spotting the container. I walked back to the monument and took a picture before heading off.

Before leaving town, I stopped at Popeye's around 2pm and picked up lunch to take back to work. All in all, it was a pretty leisurely caching day. Most of the caches were in interesting (to me) spots, and I saw areas of West Memphis I don't remember seeing the last time I cached here.

There are three other caches in West Memphis that I did not attempt to do. I had solved the puzzle for Greyhound by Abiectio (GC11P1H), but decided to wait until I had the information to go after Beaver Crossing by Abiectio (GC1105K) and Lord of the Ring Series - Return of the King by mashey (GC15JB3). Since the latter requires finding three other caches first, it might be awhile before I get back to these.

No comments: