Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Cemetery Caches Still Illegal in Tennessee

Some of my favorite geocaches are in or near cemeteries. I especially enjoy hunting for geocaches in really old cemeteries. While at one time, there was an effort underway to re-legalize geocaches in cemeteries in Tennessee, they are in fact still illegal.

Today I read a post under a thread called "Cemetery caches - still banned?" on the Middle Tennessee Geocacher's Club forums by monkeybrad AKA reviewer "The Seanachai" that states: "Official policy is 528 feet away from the property boundary of the cemetery."

Hmmm... That would make the following caches in violation of the guidelines: Jackson Pioneers Are Nearby by dalls (GC18BPD) and Ghost Hollow by Bluff Boys (GC1ZBTH).

Both of these caches were published after the banning of new cemetery caches. One was approved by "The Seanachai" and the other by "Tn cacher".

4 comments:

Monkeybrad said...

If you have found caches that were published contrary to the guidelines, I am sure that the reviewers would want to know that. Perhaps these were published in error or there is more to the story, either way I would say a note to the reviewer is in order.

Monkeybrad said...

I have looked at both, one is archived and the one that I published, as The Seanachai, does not appear to be within the 528 foot prescribed distance from a cemetery according to my maps. The maps do indicate that there is a cemetery on down the road from the cache. If this is not the case please let me know so I can address this issue.

Mackheath said...

Ghost Hollow is behind the cemetery in Denmark, TN. Possibly as close as 200 feet.

Mackheath said...

Monkeybrad, I don't know still if you're still interested (I didn't see your comments until today), but the logs around mine on Ghost Hollow (Dec 29, 2009) even mention the cemetery. I parked my car at the end of the dirt road, walked up to the cemetery gate, skirted around the fenced area to the back and found the cache.