Monday, March 15, 2010

Saint Andrew's Cross - 3/14/2010

Coming back home from the Reelfoot Lake/Union City, TN area, I needed a small number of caches to reach 50 for the day. The last cache of the day for me turned out to be Saint Andrew's Cross by Titansfan (GC1PP9T).

I hadn't read about the cache in advance and hadn't seen the area on my previous trips to Trimble, TN. When I saw the giant Rebel flag waving in the distance, I knew that was where I'd be going. It was no surprise because I know that Titansfan is a big fan of Civil War history.

The cache itself was a quick find even though the coordinates were off a bit. After finding the cache and signing the log, I walked over to the cemetery itself to see the cross and read the various plaques. It was cold and very windy, making the flags stand out at times.

[ Confederate Memorial Plaza ]

[ Monument to Fallen Soldiers ]

[ The Big Cross ]

[ The Charge ]

This was an excellent example of geocaching taking you to interesting places that you might not have seen otherwise. It was a great cache to end the day with.

No comments: