Monday, March 29, 2010

Memphis Riverwalk

About a week ago, I went to replace the cache container for Memphis Martyrs by Tuck Sackett (GCN59Y), a cache I'd adopted a few years ago. It hasn't received many visitors in recent years so I had little motivation to check on it until recently. When it was originally placed, the Memphis Riverwalk ended about 1/4 mile before getting to Martyr' s Park. This meant that you had to drive to the park in order to visit it.

[ Near Union/Beale and Riverside Drive ]

[ Looking south along the river ]

Recently, I learned that the riverwalk had been extended to Martyr's Park. I was excited to hear this because I enjoy walking along the Riverwalk and now my cache was near the south end of it. At this point in time, there are six caches along the riverwalk. Starting from the Welcome Center at the north to Martyr's Park at the south. These caches are:

Welcome to Memphis - Downtown / Riverwalk by sskaysee (GCRVTQ)

Beale Street Landing by sskaysee (GCRVTJ)

Ups & Downs by Loosahatchie (GCY7C0)

Go See Tom Lee by sskaysee (GC111CJ)

River View by sskaysee (GCRVT3)

Memphis Martyrs by Tuck Sackett (adopted by Mackheath) (GCN59Y)

It takes me about an hour to walk the entire loop. I highly recommend it for people visiting Downtown Memphis. For those of you who aren't fans of long hikes, the Riverfront Trolley takes you close to all of the above caches, as well as two near the Pyramid.

[ Nice view from above ]

[ Looking to the north ]

2 comments:

Robert Wardell said...

Thanks for the info on these caches and the Riverwalk. I haven't been downtown in a long while and may just have to take a stroll soon and visit the sites and caches.

Mackheath said...

I should have waited for a sunnier day to take pictures...