Thursday, August 15, 2013

31 Days of Geocaching: Days 15 - 21

I'm starting to think about how much it is costing me to drive all over the place for one or two caches a day.  Now that I'm halfway through the month, the nearest caches are more than 10 miles away and traffic is tough for daytime driving.

Day 15:

Another relatively easy day in that I was able to find a nice cache inside the I-240 loop for a change.  Nice cool morning for caching made it all the more enjoyable.

Bear Crawl and Duck Walk   by Wrath557 | GC45HN3 - Audubon Park cache.  I was expecting it to be harder for some reason, but it was a nice cache that was set up really well.

Day 16:

I took an early and very long drive to Johnson Road Park to hunt two caches.  Found one, but ran out of time to search heard for the other.  I like this park and wish I could have relaxed on a bench and watching the ducks swimming in the pond.

No Place To Hide by prontopup | GC39QGG - Easy to find after a walk around a pond.

Tomorrow is International Geocaching Day for what that's worth.

Day 17:

I celebrated International Geocaching Day by hunting six caches at Lichterman Nature Center.  It rained a little while I was there, but  the tree canopy kept me dry.  All six caches were extremely well done.

Walk on the Boards   by Prontopup | GC47EH5

Lichterman Trail by prontopup | GC47TRM  

Near the Stair Steps by prontopup | GC47HHP

Out of Place by prontopup | GC47TTC

Bridge? by prontopup | GC47TTK

Another Split by prontopup | GC47TT0 

Day 18:

I ran in a 5k race in the morning, so it was nearly noon before I set out geocaching.  I decided to go after some caches in Hernando, MS.  It was a little warm and I lost my internet connection on my phone during a multicache, but other than that it was a fun trip.  Lots of walking.

Lee's Summit #2  by Cfuller5 | GC42HCA - I liked the work on the camo for this one and left a USA Geocoin here that I picked up the day before.

Floats like a butterfly, looks like a bee by dameetro | GC4264H - Surprised I spotted this one without the hint.

Lee's Summit #1 by Cfuller5 | GC3XZPE - Tough to retrieve from its spot.  Relaxed at the nearby lake for a moment and drank the rest of my Powerade.


DC - Standing Guard #4 - Yes one is here by zom4live | GC41N9V  - Walmart.  Great spot, though.  No cameras watching.

Tanks for the Cache by dameetro | GC345VK -  Wasps and spider webs were all over this thing.  The cache itself stood out once I finally saw it.


Gnarly Tree by Cfuller5 | GC42HCW  -  I almost left this one alone after looking at the tough terrain.  Found a hole in the vegetation and ended up in an interesting spot.  A surprise favorite cache.

Springhill Historic Memorial Garden by chimps8mybaby | GC2ZG16  - I've been looking forward to hunting some of chimps8mybaby's caches.  This was a three-stager that was complicated by my lack of internet reception at this spot.  I had to drive 1/2 mile east (to another cache) to get reception.  At that point, I wrote down on paper what info I needed to get to complete the cache and went back.

 Day 19:

I had a Park and Grab in Southaven, MS that I couldn't get earlier because of construction.  This time I used Google satellite imagery to find a good way in, then I got up early to make the find.

DC - Standing Guard #2 - K-Rogers by zom4live | GC3YPJ3 - construction maze forced me to park a distance away and hike in.

Day 20: 

I made a quick run east on I-40 to Germantown where I found a nice nano cache away from muggles.   I had some difficulty removing it from its hiding spot, but fortunately my rarely used caching bag had the right tool for the job.


Crawdad!  by nelms3 | GC1PF99 - A nice nano that evaded extraction for a bit.

Day 21:

I drove north to Millington, TN (about 15 miles) to grab two quick Park and Grabs located a short distance apart from each other. 

Just Another Light Post by titaniumman06 | GC46J5Y - Like the name says.  Easy to find, though.  Good when you are short on time.

Wish I had a Tractor by titaniumman06 | GC46J5D - Nice hide and tied so it can't get away.  I like that.


No comments: