Friday, August 2, 2013

31 Days of Geocaching: Days 1 - 7

I doubt I can cache every day during the month of August, but it's a stressful time for me these days, so I'll give it a shot.  Anyways, I'll use this space to document caches found in August regardless.

Day 1:

Pocket Charm by sswindle (GC31YFE) - I made a short trip to the Ornamental Metal Museum near downtown after work.  I researched the directions this time, which prevented me from missing the turn and driving to Arkansas.




Fort Pickering by Dan84CJ7  (GC4C6T7) - A pill bottle across the park from the museum.  No reason to just get one cache, even if it makes it more difficult to get 31 local caches in 31 days.

Day 2:

I tried to get a cache in North Memphis, but couldn't find it.  So I headed to get three in West Memphis.

Nurse4Life by LostandFound28 GC3Z1VQ) - nano with a tight-fitting log.

West Memphis Welcomes You by Nolang1213 (GC22765) - second time hunting was the charm.  I walked right up to it.  Another nano.

Welcome to Arkansas! by KesselRun (GC4FCWR) - keyholder at a new rest stop.  I figured this would be the easiest find of the day.

Went to Dairy Queen for dinner and headed home.  I saved at least two caches in the Marion area for another trip.

Day 3:

In the morning, I managed to break off the door handle on my car, which of course only slightly hindered accomplishing any caching.  Instead, I walked to a cache near where I work.
 
Leonarda 6  by LeonardaDaArtsi (GC34WNR) - Flashback to a time where Altoids tins were more popular.

Day 4:


I went to Collierville early in the morning to hunt three caches along the Greenbelt trail.  Found two, both ammo cans.  Muggles prevented a thorough search of the third spot, which was near good parking, so I can easily come back at some future point.  It was a damp and humid day, so after these two finds, I needed a shower.

Whodunit - In the Middle of Collierville by tiger130 (GC3PXPG) - This cache was the recepient of two travel bugs I need to move.  One I took out of a rusty cache last week, and the other one I picked up in Arizona two months ago.


Pond View by Little Peanut (GC43NAY) - Damp ground and thick bushes meant I missed checking for the cool geocoin that was supposed to be in this cache.

I noticed while logging these that I am getting an individual "souvenir" for each day I cache this month.

Day 5:

The weather forecast shows a good chance of rain for the next ten days.  Today, I go out before work (and rain) and found a quick park and grab.  Not many of those to choose from in my area that I haven't already found.

The Cornerstore by Shakybird (GC48XJY) - Walgreens, but at least I saw no cameras around.

Day 6:

I had an early morning appointment in Bartlett, TN, so I picked out two of the nearest caches I could find.  The first one was a miss, in part because the area was to damp to search.  The second took me further out of my way than I had expected, but was worth it.

She Said Yes! by SniperGuy (GC3PRDJ ) - Nice walk around a lake at a nice park.  Too humid to really enjoy, but I've been here before and I'm sure I'll be back.

[ Davies Park ]
As a side note, I tied my previous longest caching "streak" of 6 days (from back in 2005).

Day 7:

A lot of the caches I have to choose from are more than 10 miles away from home and the traffic is pretty busy before and after work.  I found a challenge cache series devoted to "streaks" and one luckily met my needs for the day.  It was also pretty close, so it made a quick morning hunt.

The CCC 7 by Wrath557  (GC3XY06) - I almost had this series on my ignore list because I don't do "streaks", but looks like I'll be back for The CCC 14 and  The CCC 30 maybe.

No comments: