Thursday, August 8, 2013

31 Days of Geocaching: Days 8 - 14

After a few hit and miss strategies for picking caches to hunt, I decided to make a pocket query containing geocaches that have been found within the last 7 days.  Surprisingly, this produced a list that should be good enough to get me through 31 days.

Day 8:

I picked a cluster of four caches in Southaven, MS to get early in the morning before work.  Two were ammo cans chained to trees in non-wooded areas, so I quickly made all finds without any troubles or DNFs.

Lets do the Twist  by wilbur8869 | GC3P6K3 - Beautiful park that had a lake and exercise equipment in it.  The container was clever, but I had trouble retrieving the log.

"Blues" Lodge by Nature's_Wonderful | GC4CCAW - Ammo can near a lodge - quickest find of the morning.


DeSoto Trail New #2 - Horn Lake by SoDeSotoMS | GC3QVB4 - Ammo can in front of a library.

DC - Standing Guard #6 - DCSA by zom4live | GC41NA2  - Guard rail micro, almost skipped because I was short on time.

Day 9:

I spotted last night two caches close together with one being a park and grab, so they were my early morning targets for day 9.  I got to use a newer version of the geocaching app on my phone which works a lot better.

West of Orleans by zambodia || GC445G4 - This was a great cache!  I had seen several like it before, so it was an easy find, but it was well-constructed.

Welcome to Initech by steph&herboys, adamorobertson | GC4H2YW  - Park and grab just across the road from the previous cache.  

I made it through Friday, so finding a least one cache on Saturday and Sunday shouldn't be too much trouble (even if it rains).  I'll probably go out of town, though, to save the local ones for weekdays. 

Day 10:

I planned to do the Arkansas Highway 463 Series on Saturday and was concerned about the 60% chance of rain for the day.  I got up early and not only beat the rain but logged a total of 25 caches and made it home by 9am. 

Besides the 20 cache series, today I found:

Skye The Parrott Travel Bug Hotel by HippyChick79 | GC2YVX9  - better found in winter, but a nice spot.

Too Little Horse Ranch by HippyChick79 | GC49PXG - Rain would have made this a tough drive, but on this morning, it was nice.  A memorial just off of and out of sight of the main road.


Too Little Tulot Cemetery by HippyChick79 | GC49PWT  - Cemetery cache!

Ghost Busters by HippyChick79 | GC3QZGA - Cemetery cache that I only found because of my direction of approach.

Welcome Home by HippyChick79 | GC49PPW  - Last find of the day (Welcome to Marked Tree).

Day 11:

I had a road race in the morning in Bartlett, TN, so I hunted the nearest park and grab nearby that would work out best for a Sunday morning hunt.  Since I was stopped by Germantown police on the previous cache in this series, I was concerned to see on the cache page that security hangs out nearby.  No body was around on this early morning, though.

Changing Expectations #2 by Balls2thefloorgeocacher | GC3X967 - Nice, easy LPC.

Day 12:

With rain promised once again for later in the day,  I decided to get up before sunrise to hunt a park and grab or two.  I headed to Olive Branch, MS which is a straight shot down Hwy 78.  I managed to get my intended cache plus one other nearby.

Guest Parking by BillyDalton | GC3GQK5 - At a motel.  Quick find not far from where I found another a while back.

One Degree of Seperation - Olivebranch, MS by WillG_R7 | GC2GQ2P  - Park and grab with an offset,  I just happened to park 10 feet from the cache.

Day 13:

I had plans to hit Southaven, MS again for two caches after work.  Driving in Southaven is a nightmare at times - particularly rush hour.  The first cache I had planned to get was at a Kroger.  It should have been an easy grab, but construction prevented me from getting near it.  That is why I had two backup caches picked out.  Most of my future weekday caches will be in Germantown and Collierville.  It also looks like the rain is gone for the next week.

Defence by dameetro | GC33D2W - Nice little cache just south of Snowden Grove Park.  I've cached here twice before and think this is a really cool place.




DC - Standing Guard #7 - Speed Limit 35 by zom4live | GC3YPK2 - Easy Park and Grab, but my autorouting failed me getting in and out of the general area and I spent much more time on the road than I thought I would. 
  
Day 14:

Easy day today.

The CCC 14 by Wrath557 | GC3XY0A - guard rail, no muggles, relatively close to home.
 

No comments: