Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Christmas 2007

I had no big caching plans for this day. My primary objectives were to move a travel bug out of a cache in Atoka and make it to Christmas dinner in Rosemark with my family. Since it was a perfect day, I thought I'd hunt a few caches on the way if I had time. Turns out I should have set aside more time!


The first cache I went after was Potter's Field by Chance Encounter (GCVB16) in beautiful Frayser. Frayser is a part of North Memphis that normally I avoid like the plague. The area where Potter's Field is located is now a park with a commuinity center nearby. The neighborhood is a bit rundown, but the park looked nice. I found a good place to park/hide my car and walked across the park to the cache location. Even though the park was empty, I stayed low and out of sight of any possible muggles. The cache was a quick find and I got out safely. I hunted two more quick caches Skeeter by masmason12 and Poptart12 (GC120T7) and GS - Goin' To The Park by cgeek (GCWKNM) before heading north up Hwy 51 to Atoka.

Upon arriving in Atoka, I decided to get a couple of park and grabs at places that are normally very busy. On this day there was nobody around and I got both caches found and logged in about 5 minutes.

I then headed for Atoka Ball Park to check out my adopted cache Atoka Park Nature Trail by Spencersb (GCKR81) and also hunt O, IC ! by minismiths (GCW3E9) if I had time.


I adopted this cache fairly recently and had not personally visited it since January 2005 when I originally hunted it. I had read over the logs online and knew that it had been found exposed before so I hoped everything was in place. I found it at its coordinates which seemed to be away from where it was two years ago. All the better for me since its current spot isn't covered in thorns. The cache was well-hidden, but when I opened it up, I found mostly junk inside. All of the listed travel bugs are gone. The log book still has plenty of room, so I won't need to change it out for a while. I will go back soon to put in some fresh contents and investigate possible alternate spots to relocate it.

After coming out of the woods, I realized that I didn't leave myself enough time to hunt the nearby caboose cache, so I'll have to get it next time I'm out that way. I went after one more cache - Meteor Madness by 76Stinger (GC14YVE) on my way to Christmas dinner.

No comments: