Sunday, December 9, 2007

Death of a Legend

I got up a little earlier than normal for me on a Sunday and decided to go after a cache that was within walking distance of my residence. I had located this cache earlier on a satellite map and since it appeared to be in somebody's yard I had ignored it. Today I figured I would at least scout it out.


I took my old Garmin Legend with me because I didn't need maps and I wanted to use a GPSr that stood out less than my newer 60csx. As I approached the neighborhood where the cache was, an old bum walked past me and said "This is not going to be your morning." When I got within three blocks of the cache location I turned on the Legend and let it warm up - slowly. I walked to probably within 50 feet of the cache and realized that searching for it would leave me extremely visible to the neighbors. When a small dog ran across the street and started barking at me, I turned around and started to walk off. At this point I looked down at my Legend and saw the screen was blank except for a thin vertical line running down the middle-right side of it.

The old blue Legend has served me well over the last three years. My Dad bought it for me as a present shortly after I started geocaching and I used it to find more than 1000 caches across 15 states before breaking down and buying a 60csx. After that, I had only used it on days when I hunted caches while running.

The last cache I had hunted with it was BSA by itcomagic (GC15WBB). It had acted up on that day as well right after I had found the cache so I knew its days were numbered. Because of my tendency to anthropomorphize electronic gadgets, my Legend will be laid to rest in my golden ammo can.

1 comment:

Titansfan said...

Sorry to hear about the Legend playing out, it was be fitting to place it in your golden ammo can, it was the old Legend that got you to the 1K.