Saturday, December 1, 2007

Failing to Learn From History

Not too long ago I was participating in a geocaching-related discussion thread where the topic was [top secret]. One of the things that has been frustrating me about our forum threads is the constant deviation away from the subject/topic we are discussing. On this particular day a person decided that before we could continue with the subject of [top secret], we needed to first "discuss" who was to blame for the problems of GOWT. Being the rather blunt person I am, I stated that we needed to focus on the original topic and if others wanted a "blame" thread, they should start a separate thread for that. I was told that I was rude and inconsiderate - which is true but irrelevant.

A few of the others did eventually start and participate in a "blame" thread which they referred to as a "history" thread. I should have stayed out of it, but curiosity always gets the better of me and once I read the totally one-sided view of what supposedly happened, I asked the person who prompted the thread and who served as GOWT's Vice President during the time the problems supposedly started what role SHE played in causing or resolving the problems. She had the authority and ability to do something early on to help head off the problems that were looming and apparently did nothing! My comments were not terribly well-received. I was not smart enough to save the content of that thread, but it doesn't really matter. The truth eventually reveals itself even when clouded by drama.

I am by no means an angel, but even I realize that assigning blame is not the same as learning from history and moving on. I hope that others will eventually learn that same lesson as well.

---

Since I realize most of you prefer reading my enthralling geocaching stories to my geocaching "editorials", it is time for me to get back on the road and do some caching!

7 comments:

Robert Wardell said...

Personally, I enjoy the "editorials" as much if not more than the other stuff. They usually keep me from saying the same stuff. Besides, where else can I get my dose of geogaching gossip?

Mackheath said...

As long as Chibongo is associated with GOWT there will be plenty of drama to report. She just got busted by jimmylogan on the DeltaGeo site for referring to JAG as "NAG". ;-)

Mackheath said...

Ha! I just got busted! DeltaGeo just deleted my account and took their site private - meaning that you have to log in to view content. LOL

Robert Wardell said...

Just as an FYI, the comment on DAG about "NAG / JAG" was evidently caused by copying from another site and NOT an intentional slam by Chibongo.

Are we inventing drama now for drama's sake? I think it is time to start anew and let the past go.

Mackheath said...

I only know what I saw at the time. You are free to believe what (or who) you want.

jimmylogan said...

Robert - it was a copy & paste, but the copy/paste was JAG, not NAG. The DAG site will change JAG to NAG automatically.

It was apparently NOT an intentional slam by Chibongo, but a slam by the admin of the site. Now, who is that one might ask?

Mackheath said...

The DAG site was developed by cgeek, prontopup, and chibongo. If DAG changes "JAG" to "NAG" that would be ironic since we in GOWT complained about JAG changing occurences of GOWT to "G-SPOT".