Saturday, December 8, 2007

Mission Improbable

Mission Improbable by bitbrain (GC16JZR)

Because this cache was heavily hyped and because the cache hider is known for having exceptional caches, I was looking forward to hunting this cache. When my friend Spencersb told me that he and Hoot Owl and possibly a few others planned to hunt this cache on the evening of 12/7, I contacted jbgreer and we both made arrangements to join in on the hunt.


Jbgreer and I met up with Hoot Owl and Spencersb at a spot in Collierville and rode together to the location of the second stage. After a bit of a rocky start, we found the first set of tacks and
proceeded off into the woods. The walk itself was fairly uneventful. There were no problems with terrain and we did not need to bushwhack. At one point I decided to take a bathroom break and when I turned around, the guys had found the cache! D'oh!

In the can was the logbook and bags of envelopes with customized "missions" for each finder to complete before they could officially log the find. While I signed the log, the others went through the bags looking for envelopes with our names on them. Since there was no personalized mission for either jbgreer or me, we took generic ones. It kinda harshed my buzz knowing there was no personalized mission for me, but was glad to see that several JAG folks did have personalized missions awaiting them. I only hope that JoGPS's mission doesn't involve writing a coherent paragraph.

My mission was/is simple enough - the "improbable" part is me completing it anytime soon. Anyways, we found a more convenient way back to the vehicle. About the time we got back to the road, jbgreer noticed that he left his walking stick back at the cache! No problem, it gave us all more time to talk while walking back and forth to the cache site.

After leaving the site, we hunted a nearby cache Chickasaw Basin Cache by searchingforit (GC11JF7) and found it just as my GPS batteries were dying.

I really enjoyed talking with the guys and was glad I got the chance to see Spencersb again since his visit to Memphis was relatively short and his schedule was busy.

No comments: