Monday, January 14, 2008

Scouting Caches - January 12, 2008

The only plans I had for this day were to attend an annual party that the Memphis Runners' Track Club was hosting in Cordova. I wasn't excited about going, but needed to pick up a trophy I won. The trophy wasn't for winning any races, but rather for surviving the entire 10 race series. I figured I'd kill some time caching before the party started. I woke up late Saturday morning and ended up having lunch with a buddy of mine. I wasn't in a good mood and was going to scrap my plans and just go to work, but my friend convinced me that I shouldn't waste such a nice day indoors so I ended up heading out after lunch.

I decided I'd head to Collierville since it is a beautiful area with plenty of caches I hadn't found. The reason I called this entry "Scouting Caches" was because I intended to drive by several areas with parks that I might not have time to stay long at but might have time to at least get the lay of the land.

The first cache I stopped at was NB #8: The Nonconnah-Bahn v.2 by cgeek (GC15N6B). It was a quick park-and-grab with a wet and moldy log. I had planned to hit AATN by cgeek (GCY1H9) next, but unfortunately had misplaced my sheet of puzzle cache solutions. My next find was A Cup of Joe by cgeek (GC14RKV) at roughly 2:30. There was a long line at the drive-through, however the cache was adequately shielded from muggles. MY next goal was Silo Mentality by Chance Encounter (adopted by itcomagic) (GCZ17W).


When I got to the location, there was a LOT of construction activity going on around the cache area. I can't imagine that this structure will be standing here much longer. Unfortunately all I could do on this trip was take some pictures and use some nearby bushes to take care of some other urgent business. Sunday might be a better day to hunt this cache.

I then decided to hit a couple of outlying caches southeast of Collierville. Ice Cold by searchingforit (GC11H76) and 5141 by geocachingtagalong (GC11HQ9) were quick finds nicely out in the country along Hwy 72.

Next I decided to head north and scout out W.C. Johnson Park. There are 4 caches unfounded by me in this park. I picked up Stop in the Name of Love by GolfGirl21 (GC186XJ) and Fountain View by Lobodad (GC18BNG) on the way. I'm not a real fan of caches placed in neighborhoods because of the observant neighbors and would have normally skipped these, but they ended up being quick finds.

W.C. Johnson Park is a great park and on this day was very busy. I need some boots to do the caches so I had to skip them on this trip. Next on my list was Johnson Road Park where there were 3 caches that were inter-related. My GPSr wanted to take me everywhere but the entrance to this park - fortunately a visual inspection of the map told me the right way to enter. I went after Frisbee Flyway by prontopup (GCZZVY) which is the first of the three you have to find. There was a muggle at the spot playing frisbee golf. Since it was late, I had to abandon the subtle approach and simply stared at him until he got creeped out and left. After finding the cache and writing down information from it, I tried to make sense of what I needed to do next. My brain wasn't processing the information and it was getting dark so I decided to come back another day. I ran into a family of cachers on the way out who turned out to be MaximusWilliam and PixieMama. I only talked with them briefly as I'm not really the sociable type. It was getting dark so I went after a couple of easy ones I could do in the dark. I picked up The Skirtlifter Series - T & B by SarahAFSAllstar (GCW22H) and then went to Germantown Station by Chance Encounter (GCVB59).

While I was looking for the second cache a young girl walked up and asked what I was doing. I talked to her for a bit and left without finding the cache. I was surprised that a girl that young would walk up to a strange man in a park that late and start talking. I wanted to leave before somebody called the cops on me.

It was around 5:40pm and I still had an hour to kill before the party so I located a grocery store and did a little shopping.

I got to the party around 6:45pm after traversing some windy roads in the dark and the place (Woodland Hills Country Club) was packed. I went inside and picked up my trophy and a finisher's garment and then looked around a bit. I didn't see anyone I knew and headed to the bar to drink a beer or two in the hopes that I would relax enough to feel comfortable. The drink line was long though, and I ended up just going home.

While I only ended up with 8 cache finds, I did get to explore two really nice parks and look forward to revisiting the area.

No comments: