Friday, November 2, 2007

Old Liberty Hill Haunted Adventure, Part III

[Note: In the time since the event took place (nearly two weeks), my memories have gotten fainter. I hope I get most of the details right.]

After leaving our last attempted find, we had 10 or 15 minutes to get to the event. Our Garmins told us we weren't that far away and gave us clear, consise directions. Since we were approaching from the wrong direction, we were off of the main roads and it was impossible to tell where we were (since I never bothered to zoom out on the map). At some point, our Garmins both lit up and displayed road information. We didn't interpret it correctly and ended up missing a turn. There was a little bit of fog out - spooky - and it was dark, but we finally found the paved road we were supposed to be on from the start, and only a short distance from our destination.

Finally we arrived at the event - Old Liberty Hill Haunted Adventure by lacey38655 & sniperchicken (GC15HEC). We were probably twenty minutes late, but still managed to beat the rest of the Memphis crowd! All of the yards were heavily decorated so we weren't sure where to go. We saw a bonfire and headed for it. We met Lacey38655 and she led us to the party.


There were a few guests there and others like chibongo and cgeek showed up a little later. The fire was great since it was cooling off a bit. People sat around and talked for a while, and as usual, I sat quietly and took it all in. Lacey38655 led two groups through an elaborate "haunted" maze that was spread out across three yards! It was very well done and at several points costumed characters jumped out to scare us. I was lucky to be in front - the "monsters" usually popped out behind me catching gonafindit and giving him a good scare!

After everyone had a chance to experience the haunted maze, we all headed out to do some night caching - in cemeteries!

The first two caches we hunted were fairly close together. Since we had a good-sized crowd come out for the hunt, we split into two groups. The group I was in walked down the road to Old Liberty Hill Cemetery by lacey38655 (GCVR40). Lacey38655 led our little group and told us about the local legends about the cemetary. It was an interesting tour with some of the graves literally being alongside the road.


We got back to our starting point just as the other group led by SniperChicken was coming out of the woods. Old Liberty Hill Night Cache by lacey38655 (GC16GPZ). The course itself wasn't too long, but the terrain was tough! It would be interesting to see that area during the daytime.

The final cache of the evening was Road to Nowhere by T&R (GC519B). We were a smaller group by the time we did this one. I think some of our group had done it before so they passed on it. This was another really old and small cemetary behind a church. It was a short walk from where we parked to where a cache itself was. I was so busy listening to the conversations of the group that I walked right past the cache. Someone else spotted it before I realized what I had done. Just as well, though. I was getting tired from the long, fun day.


We drove back to the event where we had one more surprise waiting. Lacey38655 and SniperChicken had goodie bags for each of us! The bags had candy in them and I think one or two had a SniperChicken geocoin in them. Since I wasn't lucky enough to find one in my bag, I (along with a few others) bought one from SniperChicken. We all then went outside for a group photo and parted ways. Abiectio and I drove to Oxford for some gas and caffeine and made the long drive back to Memphis. Abiectio dropped me off at my apartment around midnight (I think).

I managed to get almost four hours of sleep before having to get up and ready for a ten-mile road race through Shelby Forest.

No comments: