Thursday, April 10, 2008

Nightmare on Elzey Street

I started running again recently after a long layoff and Wednesday I planned to hunt a cache during my afternoon run. I didn't have a working GPSr to take with me so I figured I'd at least check out the area and hope I got lucky.

After I had run just over a mile, my legs began to feel like bags of sand. Since I wasn't too far from the cache I planned to hunt, I decided to abandon my run, hunt the cache and then walk back home.

The cache, CCS est.1906 by Andy/Memphis (GC16E38), was near the northern border of the Cooper-Young neighborhood in Midtown Memphis. I had met the owner last year at an event in Munford. I wasn't in a hurry to hunt this cache because of the nearby residences, but since I read it was about to be archived, I figured I would give it a shot. I got to the area of the cache around 6:00pm and the cache was in the first place I looked. Naturally, the house next door had a barking dog - the only one I encountered in the area. There was a definite historic feel to the area as it appeared to have been missed by the neighborhood rejuvenation effort. There was a closed-up church nearby and several closed-up business structures. It was kind of a creepy street in an eclectic neighborhood. I was glad to get out of there, although I wish I could have snapped a few pictures.

No comments: