Saturday, April 26, 2008

Walking In Memphis - April 26, 2008

Today I decided to take advantage of the cool weather to walk over to Audubon Park. This would have been a great day for a cache run, but I wasn't in the mood. There were two unfound (by me) caches in the park so I figured I'd try to get those. The route I took to the park was a familiar one as I often run out that way. I even knew from experience how long it would take to get there. I left my house around 8:30am and skipped getting my usual morning fountain drink so I wouldn't be needing a restroom stop. The walk itself was largely uneventful.

One area I always make a point to pass through is the University of Memphis campus. I am always flooded with memories while walking past buildings I spent many hours in as an undergrad and later as a graduate student. One thing I noticed this time was an increase in the number of security cameras. Work on the new University Center is progressing... I spent a little time trying to imagine the logistics of a proposed underground walkway by the railroad tracks. There is a lot of construction going on in the areas around the outskirts of campus.

Around 10:30, I arrived at Audubon Park. My first attempt of the morning was Trolling For That Darned Treasure! by itcomagic (GC1BBBT). It is a two-stage hunt and I was very familiar with the area of the first stage. I did some looking, but there were muggles congregated nearby so I moved on.

Twofer - Audubon Park by cgeek (GC1B2ZD) was a little over a half of a mile away, so I went after it. It was a relatively easy find though it took some effort to get it out of its hiding spot. I liked the scarceness of muggles at this spot. The Twofer series area caches are placed near benchmarks. I'm not into benchmarks, so I didn't look for any near this spot.

I walked back over to "Trolling For That Darned Treasure" and there were even more muggles and plenty of loud hip-hop music, so I decided to save that cache for another day...

Since it was lunchtime, I decided to stop by the Highland Sub Shop for a sandwich. My friends and I often used to eat there a lot during our college days and it has changed relatively little in the last 20+ years. They long ago discontinued my favorite sandwich, the "Argentine Grinder" so I ordered the closest kind of sandwich I could get. After lunch, I made the long walk back home where I dropped off my GPSr before heading in to work.

Update: 4/28/2008

Itcomagic changed the difficulty and added hints for Trolling For That Darned Treasure! .

No comments: