Sunday, April 6, 2008

Virtually Visiting Nashville

I have been planning to take a trip to Downtown Nashville for a while now. My plan is to take a bus from Memphis and get there early and walk to the Capitol and down towards Vanderbilt and Music Row. Of course, when planning a walking tour of the downtown area of a big city its important to know not just where the cool sites are, but the safe ways to walk.

Thanks to Google Maps, I can take a virtual tour of the places I want to visit and get a virtual feel for the areas.

Here is what the bus station in Nashville looks like. Using the Street View navigation, I can pretty much go down the streets that interest me and see what the area is like. I might even spot a place to eat this way.

Of course, it also occurred to me that I could do some recon of some of the 22 or so virtual caches in the downtown area so I checked some of them out. There were a few that you could get the answers for with this method, but overall it doesn't work well for the vast majority. It doesn't matter though, since I will pass by the virtuals on my way to other caches. I'm still trying to decide whether to make a trip a one-day or two-day event.

No comments: