Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Building Bookmarks

A few days ago, I decided to play around with creating some geocaching bookmarks on geocaching.com. Since there are a few local caches I have decided to weed out of my searches, my first bookmark was an "ignore list". Since I will go after just about any kind of cache, my ignore list is pretty short.

The first cache added to the list was: Mission Improbable by bitbrain (GC16JZR).
I hunted this cache with some friends on December 7th and signed my name in the logbook. This cache had a special logging requirement. There are envelopes with "missions" that have to be completed before you can log the cache on-line. Most of the envelopes were personalized with the names of local cachers, others are generic. Since for some reason there was no personalized mission for me, I ended up with a generic one. My generic "mission" was to go to the Peabody Hotel and have my picture taken in front of the duck fountain with my GPSr in the picture. Even though the Peabody Hotel is a short walk from my workplace, I opted not to bother with the mission. I added the cache to my ignore list just so I wouldn't see it anymore.

The second cache added to the list was: Voicemail by Team Sprout (GC19PB1).
This is a subscriber-only cache that had special logging requirements as well. Basically it requires you to call a voicemail box using the phone of somebody who had logged the cache. Not really my cup of tea. Reading the logs, I noticed that one GOWT member violated the logging requirements by having someone else give her the coordinates. I will check back in the future to see if the cache owner keeps his promise to delete such logs. Sometimes I think GOWT stands for Giving Out Waypoints Thusly.

I added a few caches by prontopup that require you to e-mail the cache owner with information regarding how the cache is attached to its hiding spot. Uh..., no thanks.

Most of the caches that will go on my ignore list are caches with "special logging requirements".

1 comment:

Titansfan said...

Realize that earthcaches and virtuals have special logging requirement to either post pictures and/or send a message to the cache owner answers to questions. Will you still go after virtuals and earthcaches?