Thursday, December 31, 2009

Bells, TN - Dyersburg, TN - 12/29/2009

I decided that today I would pick up a string of caches between Bells, TN to the east and Dyersburg, TN to the north. I left the house around 6:15am and made it to the Pilot Truck Stop (40 miles east of Memphis) for my first "break" around 7am.

My first cache stop was Nathaniel Williams Cemetery by vettebabe5 (GCQMM0), just east of Bells. I had struck out on this cache twice before more than 4 years ago, so it was a trip down memory lane to come back to this area. I found the cache quickly and believe that its coordinates have been changed over the years.

Most of the caches I found were along Hwy 412 with a diversion here and there. A majority of the caches on this route were put out by JimmyLogan and Bashful of JAG. After finding a couple of these caches with torn or missing bags for the logs, I dug around in my bag and found a couple of good small ziplock bags to replace the next two bad baggies I came across.

Some of the noteworthy caches I found were:
Ishteiodo (ish-tee-oh-doe) by Bashful & JimmyLogan (GC1474F) - I DNF'ed on this when it was put out just prior to the Ice Cream Social by jimmylogan & B@shful (GC12CPM). On this day, I walked right up to it. Anti-climactic, but it had been on my mind since the summer of 2007 so I was glad to get it off my list.


Where Friends Lie Resting by Bashful & JimmyLogan (GCYAF2) - Nicely tucked away, I almost gave up on it. When I found it, I saw the log was unbagged. I bagged it so that my signature would remain unsmeared - the log was damp.


Up hill where the water runs by Midsouth Runners (GC1V2M3) - not really hidden, but it was in an interesting spot - I took a ingot coin from here to move on.

Cemetery Walk by Bashful and Jimmylogan (GCYD16) - I found a lot of cemetery caches today. This one was interesting because a puppy from across the road came over to help me find the cache. I nicknamed him "Titansfan" because he kept getting in my way. The church had a time capsule that I was going to take a picture of before I left, but the dog had distracted me, so I had to spend effort making sure I didn't run over him as I was leaving.

Boondocks by tnicemgr & M@verick (GCRPE8)- This is an older cache (2005) which sparked much discussion on the GOWT forums when it first came out. There were two other caches in this immediate area, but I was focused on this one.


I found a couple more caches, including find #3100 - Little Bitty by tnicemgr (GCTNJM) before gassing up and heading west on I-155 across the river to Missouri. I still had a little bit of daylight left so I headed to Blytheville, AR to pick up a cache I missed on my last trip through.

My last cache find of the day was Walking the Line by kjw0169 (GC1W9M7) - a pretty interesting sight at the border between Missouri and Arkansas on Hwy 61.


I had only minutes of daylight left so I headed to Grandpa's Challenge by Doug&Di (GC1ARRA). I was reasonably sure I stood no chance of solving the physical puzzle involved, but I at least wanted to give it a try. I spent at least 20 minutes on it before moving on - defeated.


The above object is "Grandpa's Challenge", an example of a monkey puzzle.

Blytheville was a good as place as any to eat dinner so I ended up stopping at Perkins restaurant for a meal before heading the rest of the way to Memphis.

No comments: