Thursday, December 3, 2009

Harrisburg-Wynne, AR - 11/22/2009

The plan on this day was to cache in a few small towns in northeast Arkansas and visit a couple of State Parks as well.

My first stop of the morning was Marion, AR. There was a cluster of recently placed caches that were easy hunting on a Sunday morning. While in town, I got the car gassed up, scraped off the bugs from the last trip, and got some liquid refreshment for the trip.

Heading north, I made a stop at Hampson Archeological State Park in Wilson, AR. The was the place that I had two DNF's and a nicely cut finger the last time I was here. This time my visit was short and sweet. Two finds. One had bad coords - Hampson Archeological Museum ParkCache by Arkansas State Parks (GC1CFDK), but the logs told me this information ahead of time.

[ small state park]

While in the area, I detoured to 120 miles out of the way by fluffy&itchy (GC109YD). This cache has been here for a while, and today was a great day to go after it - dry dirt roads. The cache, itself, was in the only area that had mosquitoes. While here I also saw a big pumpkin lying on the ground.


My next destination was Lake Poinsett State Park, but on the way I stopped at The Painted House by Lambertstudios (GC1P962). A local tourist attraction and the setting for a John Gresham novel, on this day it was just a scenic stop on the way to more caches. Since I was there, I decided to walk around and take pictures of the house and barn. A sign on the front said admission was $10 for Adults. Wow.

[ The Painted House ]

Lake Poinsett State Park was a nice park. The only muggles I saw were near the fishing area. One cache - Lake Poinsett ParkCache by Arkansas State Parks (GC1DR1D) - was part of the State Park Challenge. I think I've been to 4 of the 53 state parks now. The second was near an empty picnic area. Good thing it was empty, as it took me forever to find the cache.

I hunted a few more caches before heading into Harrisburg, a tiny town northwest of the park. I picked up four caches here.

Next, I headed south to Wynne. Most of the caches I found there were new "Red Man" caches. I found a couple of neat cemetery caches as well.

Since I had a little bit of daylight left, I headed after Stars and City Lights by LuckyoneinAR (GCXKGA) - a cache at the north end of Village Creek State Park that I had missed before. I tried taking the roads instead of going through the park and hiking the horse trails. Big mistake - the map doesn't show these roads as private (or mud and rocks). No muggles, no worries though, I found the cache and made it out before sunset. I headed back to Marion, picked up a cache I missed earlier and had a nice dinner at Zaxby's before heading home.

No comments: