Thursday, December 31, 2009

Blytheville, AR, Hayti, MO, Dyersburg, TN - 12/27/2009

I had been to Blytheville once before, so I was somewhat familiar with the layout of the land. My goal here was mainly to got after the four caches in the "Blytheville 4" series as well as avenge a DNF or two from my previous trip. I left early and arrived in Blytheville around 7am.

My first stop was at Wal-Mart to take a bathroom break and hunt the nearby cache - CAA I55 - Wally Pole by Doug&Di (GC14YQ0). Security was patrolling the area so I had to leave and save that cache for later. I headed east to pick up a few outside of town and only managed to get to Sleeping in the Carr by Doug&Di (GC14Z6X).

I avenged a DNF on Dead Center Field by Doug&Di (GC14Z2K). This was made possible by the fact there were no muggles playing baseball on this cold winter day. In fact, the entire park was empty.

The B'Ville 4 - #4 by Doug&Di (GC16JV9)
This required finding three caches in the series and writing down tow letter-number pairs from each one to be used in completing the coordinates for #4.

[ ammo can ? ]

The B'Ville 4 - #1 by Doug&Di (GC16JWT) was at a cemetery in an ammo can about the size of my thumb. Nice!
The B'Ville 4 - #2 by Doug&Di (GC16JWN) was a bust because even though I had solved the associated puzzle, I just could not find the nano.
The B'Ville 4 - #3 by Doug&Di (GC16JWV) was an easy find near the local YMCA - abandoned on this day.

So, since I needed six digits to complete the coordinates for B4 and I only had 4, I had to move on. Hopefully I won't lose the data I collected from #1 and #3.

I decided to skip past Grandpa's Challenge by Doug&Di (GC1ARRA) on this trip and missed Walking the Line by kjw0169 (GC1W9M7) due to an incorrect approach. So at this point I was northward bound.

I crossed the border into Missouri and picked up a couple in the tiny town of Cooter. Next, I visited Steele, and found gateway to fun by cheapthrl (GC1ZQPQ) in a nice park with a veteran's memorial (and a bathroom).

My next stop was Hayti, MO where I picked up 8 nice caches; most done by Midsouth Runners whom I met outside of Home Is Where The Heart Is by Midsouth Runners (GC1REX7).

[ The owners were watching me ]

My favorite hides here were History Class by Midsouth Runners (GC1RVFC) and Reflections of Vacations Present by MightyDee (maintained by MidSouth Runners) (GC1ZKC8).

[ History Class ]

My next stop was a KOA park where I found Sleepless Nights by Midsouth Runners (GC1WE36). I got my feet wet here as well which made the rest of the cold day somewhat more miserable.

I took the back roads north to Portageville, MO - finding a cache or two along the way. At the cemetery I picked up a TFTC geocoin that I later dropped off at a cache in Collierville, TN.

Since it was still early and only 15 miles out of my way, I went after What's Shaking? - New Madrid, MO by CUSEC (GC1DRVR) next. This was a nice cache outside of a museum and gift shop that is open 7 days a week normally. When I got there the place was closed due to storm damage. So much for warming up...

[ Museum and Gift Shop ]

[ Looking out over the Mississippi River ]

What to do with so much time left in the day?? It was time to turn back south . I headed for Carruthersville, MO where I found two more veterans-themed caches and took I-155 across the Mississippi River into Tennessee. I picked up a few caches along the Great River Road before heading into Dyersburg.

[ A view from a cache ]
--
Two caches that stood out in the Dyersburg area were:
1) Huck Fin---ley by Midsouth Runners (GC1WJNZ) - a guard rail cache that had a large dead dog next to it. It was laid out in such a way that I didn't see it until I got to the cache site.

and 2) Gone for a swim by Midsouth Runners (GC1W1CT) - This was at Okeena Park, a place I hadn't visited since the "Ice Cream Social" hosted by JAG in July 2007.
--
Leaving Dyersburg, I headed south on Hwy 51 and picked up two more caches. The first was Flowers from the Storm by Bashful & JimmyLogan (GC1474X) in Halls where I had a DNF previously) and the second was in Gates. I finished the last cache as it was getting dark so I continued south towards home.

When I got to Atoka, TN, I decided to catch a movie at the Cineplanet 16. I arrived just minutes before the start of Sherlock Holmes. I liked the movie, but I was so cold it was tough to stay focused. I made it home around 9pm.

No comments: